Need BEAST help for the mornings hunt!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

Need BEAST help for the mornings hunt!

Unread postby GRFox » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Ok I was sitting a buck bed tonite.

The blue dot is me.
Blue trail is my entry
Red Trail is my Target buck
White Trail is drop tine buck
Black is the wind

I sat here tonite expecting a buck to be bedding directly north of my location. About an hour before closing a small drop tine buck came out from the corner, and fed about 15 yards from me until the wind died down and swirled and he slowly trotted off.

Right before dark I heard a twig break to the east and saw my target buck, a 115" 8 point I have on camera. He walked the red trail (as I have seen other bucks do in years past) in what I believe was an effort to scent check the hardwoods which is a mix of maple and oaks. I am pretty sure they are bedding on the transition line from the hardwoods to the power lines which is about 40 yards of thick swamp, a historical buck bedding area too.

Any way I lost track of him when he was directly to my east, but I am 90% sure he took the route I outlined. I never saw him run or heard him run when he caught my wind, or my boot tracks coming in. I creeped out of there one step at a time and never bumped him.

Tomorrow morning is a moon day, good for a morning hunt. Do you guys think he will take the same trail back to bed and I should set up on it? I can't hunt the power lines and am not 100% sure of his exact bed.... or should I hunt the hardwoods, oaks and maples in hopes of him feeding his way back into that corner?

I don't want to burn the spot out for an afternoon hunt either. I would plan on getting right down in the corner and get on his trail.

Sugestions please!!!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Need BEAST help for the mornings hunt!

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:13 pm

They are pretty wind specific about the way they enter a bed... Not so much when they leave. I would leave him alone in the morning based on your knowledge of the exact bed position and move to where you saw him for an evening hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”