Gotta Vent

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Countryboy95

Gotta Vent

Unread postby Countryboy95 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:38 am

So far this season has been a rough one. In previous years I hunted everyday after school and on the weekends, without regard to the wind. After discovering this website I decided to start playing the wind. And I've found that between the two properties I have access to, I can only hunt them with West or South winds. And my westerly spots can only be hunted in the mornings due to the rising thermals that should carry my scent out of the creekbottom below onto the acorn flats that I hunt. So what I'm left with is very few times that I can actually hunt :doh: I can't get access to other proeprties because much of my county is made up of hunters and bowhunters. Whats your opinion? Am I doing the right thing by trying to hunt smart?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Gotta Vent

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:07 am

Yes. Hunting smart will pay dividends down the line. Post up a picture of your set up and stands maybe some options are available.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:09 am

Smarter not harder. L used to hunt every chance I could get but I'm finally starting to pay attention to the little things and keep my impact on an area to a minimum. I guess if you look at it from a deers perspective and all things being equal would you rather be where there's always scent left behind where it shouldn't be or where there is never any (or minimal) human scent. I assume they would prefer the later.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:55 am

Yes. If you don't have a good wind that day go scouting on public for a spot that will work with winds you can't hunt now. You don't want to hunt your spots very often anyway or you will burn them out.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:54 am

Keep your chin up. You just need to work on accumulating more spots. Start trying out public spots or knocking on doors on those days that you aren't hunting.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:34 am

Hunting smarter is the key. It will pay off over time

That being said, if you hunted that property without regard to the wind in the past and were still killing deer, then go for it. Every place is different and some places there are stupid deer, I am not kidding.

How large is the area? What are your hunting goals?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:55 am

Yep you need a lot of backup spots for every wind. Prtmission might be hard to come by this time of year but give it a shot or hit some public, ir even get out and scout some public.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:08 am

When I started out I was the bull in the china cabinet... I killed big bucks by shear determination, hunting every day, and by being unwilling to give up... Now I hunt smart, I hunt less, and do better.

If only I had the knowledge I have now, back when I was physically and mentally capable of hunting hard every day... The season has just started and I am already worn out.

Like others have said... Expand your ground, or hunt less.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:57 am

Hunting this way has its short term negatives, but the long run is solo worth it. Like everyone is saying, don't give up and use this time to scout some publi land. You'll be better off hunting this way over the long run. Don't let you mind place limits. Keep striving, things WILL turn toward the better.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:59 am

Hunting this way has its short term negatives, but the long run is soooooo worth it. Like everyone is saying, don't give up and use this time to scout some publi land. You'll be better off hunting this way over the long run. Don't let you mind place limits. Keep striving, things WILL turn toward the better.

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:01 am

Sorry for the double post. Bought a smart phone and it's smarter than me in some areas yet

Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:26 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Yes. If you don't have a good wind that day go scouting on public for a spot that will work with winds you can't hunt now. You don't want to hunt your spots very often anyway or you will burn them out.

x2, well said.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”