Organizing all of your waypoints

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adrenalin
500 Club

Organizing all of your waypoints

Unread postby adrenalin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:30 am

So looking for ideas on how everyone organizes all of there waypoints. Trying to come up with a good system to keep it simple and easy. How do you associate all of your stands with there buck beds and access points? Do you keep everything in your gps or tranfer it to a notebook and erase after logged? Here are the things I mainly mark:
1. Stand sites
2. Buck beds
3. Doe bedding
4. Access points or terrain features I have to navigate to on my route in
5. Truck

I am going to try to come up with an efficient system and print something out but want your guys imput. I have alot of spots and it is getting pretty confusing and need to fix this. It would also be nice to log sightings and conditions for each spot too.

xpauliber
500 Club

Re: Organizing all of your waypoints

Unread postby xpauliber » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:15 am

Check out Terrain Navigator....it's mapping software that is sold by each state. When I get back home from each scouting trip, I input all of my coordinates onto the map and its really neat to be able to get a visual, plus you can keep notes about each waypoint right on the map.

There's also an export feature that I use to back up my waypoints to a hard disk. That's a ton of information that has taken years to compile.

[url]
http://maptech.mytopo.com/land/terrainn ... N=50519311[/url]

The terrain navigator pro is expensive. They had a standard edition for $100/state, which was well worth it for me.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:24 am

I've started keeping a video log of all my new waypoints. When I find a spot, I take the camcorder and look around, say stuff like "Here's the main trail running north/south, there's a big rub over there, about 80 yards along the ridge is bedding, hunt this tree, situate the stand so it's pointing this direction with this wind, you'll need 3 sticks, etc."

Then on my computer, I have a waypoints folder, with subfolders for each property or piece of public, with subfolders for early season, late season, or rut, etc. Basically organize them however I like. I also import the tracks and waypoints into Google Earth so I can see the big picture.
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:31 am

I mark and label beds, trees I can use use under different conditions, access points for those tree's under different conditions, access points to my access points under different conditions, any areas of concern relating to access, sneaking being seen ect. Really I mark anything I thing could be useful. I kind go nuts with my GPS. not only that a note book is great to have. I don't do anything special as far as organizing though.. I found out a GPS is a incredible tool from tracking. I mark all the spot i find blood and I can say with all certainty doing this will increase your chances of recovering lost game that other wise may not have been found..then I can also transfer my tracks to Google earth and it really paints a picture. I'll follow deer trails and then transfer to Google earth and it really helps visualize how deer are using terrain and how to set them up..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”