Bedding on Hillsides in suburban areas.......

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GRFox
500 Club

Bedding on Hillsides in suburban areas.......

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:24 am

This precious little picture I created is an example of something I run in to all the time hunting the suburbs. The top dosnt have to be a shopping center, it could be a housing development, constructions yard, or even a high way.

Anyway any deer bedding on the leeward side of that hill would be smelling people all day long, so is it really advantageous for a deer to bed there? OR would they bed there on any wind?

Edcyclopedia

Re: Bedding on Hillsides in suburban areas.......

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:00 pm

You are a Monet w/ drawing sunshine :mrgreen:

Red Dot = Beds
Blue = Deer Trails
Green = My trail

I've had a lot of sightings when it's either a Southerly or Easterly wind.
The top stand location has houses within sight and either have dogs or little screaming girls
- it makes for a comical hunt to listen to the father yell @ the screeching - LOL

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:11 am

I hunt a very urban spot near Chicago. Its about 50 yards off the busiest tollway that runs to Downtown Chicago. Its usually a miracle if you can hear a deer before you see him. If someone was 15 feet away you usually have to shot because the tollway noise. This is even with a sound wall.

The first year I hunted this spot I played the wind. I only have one stand site due to the size of the land and would only sit if it was two West or North wind. My dad started hunting their last year in a ground blind and didn't care what the wind was, just liked to go out and sit. I learned that deer didn't care about the wind. He had bucks and does come in 8 yards downwind of him. I feel that in my situation there is so much scent out there with the tollway, trucks and houses that the deer don't recognize when you are there. Sight is a whole different story I've learned, if they spot you in a tree or back in the woods they are gone. This might just be this spot though, its my only really urban spot and with the tollway there the scent might just be overwhelming.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:19 am

This precious little picture I created is an example of something I run in to all the time hunting the suburbs. The top dosnt have to be a shopping center, it could be a housing development, constructions yard, or even a high way.

Anyway any deer bedding on the leeward side of that hill would be smelling people all day long, so is it really advantageous for a deer to bed there? OR would they bed there on any wind?

Whether its suburban, or wilderness, or something in between, there will be some deer that bed there regardless of wind, and some that use the wind to there advantage... However, your going to find that deer seem to be able to smell how far away you are... Walk in the parking lot where they expect you, and they are ok with that... Walk into the brush at the top of that hill and you will likely put them on alert... The best bucks are usually the oldest, and they most likely are bedding with the advantages of a leeward hillside.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:01 am

Got a similar situation that ill be hunting tonight. I'll let you know how I do :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:03 am

I am thinking of setting up uphill and just out of a bucks wind while he is bedding. Anyone had success with this?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:41 am

wmihunter wrote:I am thinking of setting up uphill and just out of a bucks wind while he is bedding. Anyone had success with this?

Up hill or same elevation has worked best for me... Its hard to beat thermals and swirling below.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:36 am

I was traveling down interstate 80 about 6 or 7 years ago. There is a big outlet mall just north off the interstate. Just off the exit ramp I spotted a super nice multi point buck just of the exit ramp about 20 yards. He was with a doe it was Around the middle of November. He must have been counting cars. LOL He had 15 + points he could clearly see all the activity across the interstate from where he was. I wanted to get another look at him but there was no place to circle back for 10 miles down the road. I look at that spot every time I pass by there. When deer live around humans they know what they can get by with.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”