BIG BUCK DOWN! 4 Days in and Tagged Out

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stuart
500 Club

BIG BUCK DOWN! 4 Days in and Tagged Out

Unread postby Stuart » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:13 am

This has been my best hunting season ever with my biggest buck to date and my first public land doe kill. It's funny how last season I gave a haircut to a buck during November and hunted to the bitter end but this season I am done in less than a week! :lol:

Rewind back to opening day, October 1st, I scouted this piece of public last February and kicked 5 does of their bedding area. So after making a short video of what I needed to do in the hunting season, I backed out and didn't return to that area until the morning of October 1st. I setup on this bedding area with my Lone Wolf Assault and not even 20 minutes after sunrise this doe gave me 15 yard broadside shot. With little to no leaves on the ground yet, I couldn't even hear her coming and didn't have time to even touch the camera. It was nice to be back in the tree again and I would have still been happy even if I didn't shoot anything.
[glow=red](PUBLIC LAND DOE)[/glow]

For the next two days I kept hunting a few of my other pieces of public land that were good for South winds. With the confidence of my last hunt I still had my buck tag in my pocket and still tones of season left. I didn't see a deer for 2 days but I didn't let it get to me because there were some other hunters on that public as well.

Yesterday after school I got home, grabbed a snack and got my milkweed pods out to check the wind. South wind again, CRAP, I thought :twisted: . I had a different piece of land in mind with a North wind but I decided to hit one of my only private lands which was owned by my best friends dad. I had hunted this land last year but didn't get permission in time to scout. Over the winter mounts I walked the land to understand it better. I set up yesterday about 250 yards into the woods and had a rough idea of where a buck might be bedded. I set my 4 sticks and Assault up quietly settled in.

Almost 2 hours went by... I looked at my phone and saw the time was 6:40pm and said to myself "if your going to shoot a deer it going to be soon." I put my phone away, looked to my right and instantly knew that this is that buck I wanted :shock: . He came in a little different than I wanted and didn't see or hear him till he was 20 yards away almost past my stand. I drew my bow as fast as I could and shot!!!

Everything happened so fast after that and just heard a couple crashed in the distance. I backed out and got my neighbor Chris who is properly crazier about deer than I am :lol: I couldn't have got it out without him. We were up till 1am dragging this deer out after we found it 120 yards from the stand.

I think many people on the BEAST have had that moment when they start to realize that their tactics and hard work are finally paying off. I find now that I am getting better at looking at a property and narrowing it down to pick the right tree. I don't own my own hunting land and am only 18 years old. I now realize you don't need a lot of fancy things and money to shoot deer, you just need to put the time in the woods.

Dewey

Re: BIG BUCK DOWN! 4 Days in and Tagged Out

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:16 am

Great job Stuart! :dance:

Congrats on an awesome year! 8-)
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:16 am

Hog! Nice work man!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:22 am

Very nice! I dig the trailer behind the small car, thats what Im planning to do this year. 8-)
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:38 am

Wow!Killer buck!
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:46 am

Awesome buck man! Congrats on an awesome short season!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:49 am

Congrats! That's a dandy!
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:55 am

Thats a Great deer! Congrats!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:56 am

Awesome! :mrgreen:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:00 am

Great deer! Way to get the job done!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:05 am

That's an outstanding buck, congratulation's!! Where did you hit him? Looks like 2 blood spots on the left side of the buck.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:07 am

Outstanding buck and effort Stuart! Good work.
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:11 am

Great job Stuart! Congrats! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”