What website do you used to get coordinates

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

What website do you used to get coordinates

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:52 pm

What website do you used to get gps coordinates of your hunting spots and how do you do it.

Brad

Re: What website do you used to get coordinates

Unread postby Brad » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Good question Joe! Mind if build on your question and find out how to manually add them to a GPS?
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:57 pm

Good question Brad. I would like to hear that too. To answer my own question somewhat, you can go on googlemaps and then rightclick on the spot you want and click (Whats here?) and then it will tell you the cordinates. My only problem is that it tells you them in a funny format
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:05 pm

Download the Google Earth program.. You can mark waypoint on there, and then if you look at the properties of the waypoint, you can see the coordinates - in whichever format you set as the default for the program. For instance, I like UTM coordinates (bc it makes the most sense), so that's what I have mine set as.

If you don't want to download the program, you can also use acme mapper's website to get coords. The little box in the right hand corner gives you the coords of the crosshairs.. And you can change the format by clicking on options..

Unfortunately, I have to manually put them into my GPS from there..

Brad- what gps unit do you have? I might be able to give you a step-by-step to enter them into the unit..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:10 pm

I use google earth and Bing.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:11 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:Download the Google Earth program.. You can mark waypoint on there, and then if you look at the properties of the waypoint, you can see the coordinates - in whichever format you set as the default for the program. For instance, I like UTM coordinates (bc it makes the most sense), so that's what I have mine set as.

If you don't want to download the program, you can also use acme mapper's website to get coords. The little box in the right hand corner gives you the coords of the crosshairs.. And you can change the format by clicking on options..

Brad- what gps unit do you have? I might be able to give you a step-by-step to enter them into the unit..

This is what I do too. With a Garmin GPS you can hit the mark waypoint feature and then scroll to the coordinates and enter them in manually. I prefer to use the Decimal Degrees format on both GPS and Google earth........makes it simple. You can change the format on GE by going under Tools, then Options and the choices are listed under show lat/long.

Hope this helps.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:33 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:Download the Google Earth program.. You can mark waypoint on there, and then if you look at the properties of the waypoint, you can see the coordinates - in whichever format you set as the default for the program. For instance, I like UTM coordinates (bc it makes the most sense), so that's what I have mine set as.

This is what I do too. With a Garmin GPS you can hit the mark waypoint feature and then scroll to the coordinates and enter them in manually. I prefer to use the Decimal Degrees format on both GPS and Google earth........makes it simple. You can change the format on GE by going under Tools, then Options and the choices are listed under show lat/long.

Hope this helps.

Same here.

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:

Hope this helps.

Same here.

x3!!
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Google Earth is what I use. I'll pull coordinates and manually enter them onto my GPS.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:29 pm

http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html Just left click anywhere you want and it will give the coordinates. You can also enter coordinates you found and it puts a point there.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:37 pm

With smart phones u can just add bookmarks and waypoints and then you'll have it right on a map

wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:37 pm

With smart phones u can just add bookmarks and waypoints and then you'll have it right on a map

NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:20 pm

This.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:18 am

Jackson Marsh wrote: I prefer to use the Decimal Degrees format on both GPS and Google earth........makes it simple.

How does that system work? I'm not familiar with it.

Like I mentioned, I prefer the UTM system- mostly because it's all based off meters - so I can tell how far things are (in meters rather than degrees - bc I don't know how far a degree is)..

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:56 am

If you like using mapping software, I highly recommend checking out Terrain Navigator (http://www.mytopo.com/map-software.cfm).

It's topographic mapping software sold by state. You can link it with Google Earth and see exactly what you are looking at both on topo/aerial at the same time.

Here's a tutorial I wrote up showing how I used the software to plan my first do-it-yourself out-of-state hunt: http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8717&p=90918#p90918. I didn't end up killing a deer on this hunt, but the spots we picked on the software had great deer sign when we finally hunted them. The week we went last year was in the 60's, daylight movement was minimal.
Last edited by xpauliber on Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”