What website do you used to get coordinates

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Re: What website do you used to get coordinates

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:05 am

xpauliber wrote:If you like using mapping software, I highly recommend checking out Terrain Navigator (http://www.mytopo.com/map-software.cfm).

It's topographic mapping software sold by state. You can link it with Google Earth and see exactly what you are looking at both on topo/aerial at the same time.

Here's a tutorial I wrote up showing how I used to the software to plan my first do-it-yourself out-of-state hunt: http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8717&p=90918#p90918. I didn't end up killing a deer on this hunt, but the spots we picked on the software had great deer sign when we finally hunted them. The week we went last year was in the 60's, daylight movement was minimal.

I visited the site that sells Terrain Navigator and for some reason they are only offering "Terrain Navigator Pro" which is $350. Just the plain Terrain Navigator used to be $100/state. If someone is interested in the software, it's worth a phone call to see if they still have the original software available.

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:51 am

cornfedkiller wrote:Download the Google Earth program.. You can mark waypoint on there, and then if you look at the properties of the waypoint, you can see the coordinates - in whichever format you set as the default for the program. For instance, I like UTM coordinates (bc it makes the most sense), so that's what I have mine set as.

If you don't want to download the program, you can also use acme mapper's website to get coords. The little box in the right hand corner gives you the coords of the crosshairs.. And you can change the format by clicking on options..

Unfortunately, I have to manually put them into my GPS from there..

Brad- what gps unit do you have? I might be able to give you a step-by-step to enter them into the unit..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I have the green Garmin Rhino, think its the 120.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:01 am

I don't know if I would put all my faith in google earth. How accurate are the grids? How many digit grids are you guys using?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:28 am

mapcard.com and click on the spot you think you want to locate ( say a ridge or swamp pont) and add waypoint which gives you the coord.
Punch that into GPS for ref. & follow with GPS when in the field to locate on foot.

Or opposite...

Take coord off GPS and add waypoint into software and save map.
Convert map to .pdf so you can print and take to the field for larger viewing.
Bring pencil and markup printed map with notes...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I don't know if I would put all my faith in google earth. How accurate are the grids? How many digit grids are you guys using?

I don't know enough about the accuracy, but I use ot every weekend in the winter/spring scouting and it has never led me astray. I've had it direct me right to a single clump of trees in the middle of large cattail marshes, as well as secluded parks deep in the Colorado rockies.

Works well, but I still take compass bearings.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:07 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote: I prefer to use the Decimal Degrees format on both GPS and Google earth........makes it simple.

How does that system work? I'm not familiar with it.

Like I mentioned, I prefer the UTM system- mostly because it's all based off meters - so I can tell how far things are (in meters rather than degrees - bc I don't know how far a degree is)..

The only reason I use decimal degrees is ease on typing in coordinates such as 43.789653, I don't have to enter the "punctuation" :)

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:22 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote: I prefer to use the Decimal Degrees format on both GPS and Google earth........makes it simple.

Like I mentioned, I prefer the UTM system- mostly because it's all based off meters - so I can tell how far things are (in meters rather than degrees - bc I don't know how far a degree is)..

The only reason I use decimal degrees is ease on typing in coordinates such as 43.789653, I don't have to enter the "punctuation" :)

Gotcha.. I just figured Id bring it up because alot of people arent familiar with UTM, and after I explained it to a few people, they have really liked it. Nothing wrong with the other systems, and it doesnt really matter to me what anyone uses, I just figured if it could help a few people with an easier system, then I have helped a few people.

UTM doesnt use any decimals or anything either, and like I mentioned, its all meters rather than something that doesnt really have a unit. It gives you an Easting number and a Northing number - which, again, are in meters. For instance, if your easting is 100100, if you go 100 meters east of there, you are at 100200. Likewise, if you go another 1000 meters east of that, you would now be at 101200. Same goes for the Northing..

The system Jackson is using sounds pretty simple as well, but if anyone is sick of using the seconds, degrees, minutes stuff, dont be afraid to give the UTM a try!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:55 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:
cornfedkiller wrote:

Gotcha.. I just figured Id bring it up because alot of people arent familiar with UTM, and after I explained it to a few people, they have really liked it. Nothing wrong with the other systems, and it doesnt really matter to me what anyone uses, I just figured if it could help a few people with an easier system, then I have helped a few people.

UTM doesnt use any decimals or anything either, and like I mentioned, its all meters rather than something that doesnt really have a unit. It gives you an Easting number and a Northing number - which, again, are in meters. For instance, if your easting is 100100, if you go 100 meters east of there, you are at 100200. Likewise, if you go another 1000 meters east of that, you would now be at 101200. Same goes for the Northing..

The system Jackson is using sounds pretty simple as well, but if anyone is sick of using the seconds, degrees, minutes stuff, dont be afraid to give the UTM a try!

That does sound like a useful system, makes more sense than seconds, minutes etc...

Good info.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”