What's your take on this setup?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinsonovagun

What's your take on this setup?

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:26 pm

I've got what appears to be a buck bed where the blue marker is. It's near some abandoned farm equipment next to a tree with overhanging branches. The tree actually had a scrape on it as well, just 10-15 feet from the bed, as well as several nearby rubs- is this fairly common?

My main point is this- the bed faces south (which means he should bed there on a north wind) and I have to enter from the south, which is no problem since I can walk along the river. There is a deep drainage ditch that then runs west from the river to a tree that puts me ~40 yards from the bed. It's close, but this weekend we're getting some strong wind and my sound should be masked by the deep ditch (access point). I won't be able to shoot that far though (trees/brush). There was a good trail funneling around the tip of the drainage ditch, but it's right where I had picked a tree. I have never set up a stand that close to a trail before. Looking on my maps, I noticed what appears to be another good trail heading west to the fields. (for the past 4 years I've hunted the area, they've always been soybeans, which is weird they don't rotate crops, but that's another topic...)

My plan was to go in friday evening with that good cold front coming through and just see if I could see anything get up from the bed or moving along the tree line just north of my proposed stand location. I can get a clean entry/exit, but don't really expect shot opportunity, unless "it" takes the trail under me, which I think could be worse since it would probably bust me in the tree, or I would have a straight down shot.

Thinking about this spot over the course of the summer, I wished I had picked a tree to the west of my current proposed location in order to cover shots from either area. The only problem may be getting in quieter/cleaner.

I know it's a lot, but I'd like to hear others' thoughts.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”