Dealing with your job during hunting season.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jonsimoneau
500 Club

Dealing with your job during hunting season.

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:34 am

How do you guys deal with work obligations during deer season? The past two years I have been working at a job that only allows me to hunt weekends. That may be enough for a lot of guys but I simply cannot handle it. What jobs do you guys have that are hunter friendly?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: Dealing with your job during hunting season.

Unread postby Dor » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:36 am

jonsimoneau wrote:How do you guys deal with work obligations during deer season? The past two years I have been working at a job that only allows me to hunt weekends. That may be enough for a lot of guys but I simply cannot handle it. What jobs do you guys have that are hunter friendly?

No job is hunter friendly!
I laughed my off when I read your post. Love it and feel the same way! :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:43 am

Only hunting weekends is typical for me for years. I don't get out of work early enough during the week to hunt at all really.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:45 am

well, we have a 12 point system. go home early and it's 1/2 a point. not show up and it's a whole point. 12 points is hard to get in a year, but if you do. it's troulbe. so far I have 0, but there is talk about manditory saturdays soon. that means I will be getting some points. LOL.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:48 am

I show up early and leave late the rest of the year so I have more flexibility in October and November, my wife hates it but now I can typically leave early or come in late when a weather front comes in. It's still not enough.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:48 am

"Dealing" is a good choice of words. It's tough. I try to cover for fellow workers throughout the year so that when hunting season comes, they cover for me a lot. I come in late, leave early, beg for time off... :oops: Whatever it takes to get out there. I would think a trades job would be more conducive to hunting. Things usually slow down a bit for those guys in the winter.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:50 am

I am severely restricted by work early season especially since I work 2nd shift. Starting this coming weekend my vacation starts so I will get at least 3 day weekends and another 3 full weeks off in Oct. and Nov. so there is light at the end of the tunnel. Can't wait! It drives me crazy every day on my way to work on these cooler days we have been having.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:24 am

Basically a weekend hunter save for a week vacation I split up between bowhunt and rifle hunting with the family. I sneak in a few mid-week early season hunts but those don't last long as we are losing light fast and working until 5 is painful!

One thing I do to help spread things out a little is split up my vacation days. Weekday mornings are harder because I have to help get the kids up and ready for the day so I shoot for the evenings to get out and hunt. I work a handful of 1/2 days in late Oct or early Nov so I am off around noon and head strait into the woods.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:01 am

I just try and get in the woods when I can.
I add days off to the weekend by using vacation days.

Hunter friendly jobs...hahaha. those guys are on the outdoor channels

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:05 am

I'm lucky because the owner of my company is a hunter (not a good one, but he "hunts"). He allows me to start early and leave at 2 pm a couple days a week. I have a weeks vacation left that I am saving for the beginning of November, and of course most weekends. This coming weekend is the youth hunt so I hope to get my daughter her first deer and my son a chance at a nice Buck. After this weekend it's back to bowhunting.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:20 am

I chose job to accommodate hunting and family.... more of a commute but better time off and schedule. Time is more important to me than pay...

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:22 am

Bucky wrote:I chose job to accommodate hunting and family.... more of a commute but better time off and schedule. Time is more important to me than pay...

Ditto...flexibility is key. My benefits pretty much stink, but flexibility is very nice. Been taking dang near a month of to hunt the rut for 10 years now. Never had an issue.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:30 am

My recent promotion has me working 55 hour work weeks. Its still only 5 days a week though, and If im closing the store on one of the days I do work i could squeeze in a morning hunt.

So that gives me 2 maybe 3 days a week which gives me 4 to 6 hunts. Plus I have a 9 day vacation Novmber 10th thru the 19th. I cant complain. I wish I had more time but I know I will be burnt out come December so I guess it really is enough.

Every year i think to myself, "man Im not going to have enough time to hunt." And every year around mid December I cant wait for it to be over....

Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:41 am

It varies for me. Being self employed It can be great and It can suck when It comes to getting time off. This year hasn't been as good so far when trying to get out In a deer stand. Been out 4 times.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:51 am

Dor wrote:
Bucky wrote:I chose job to accommodate hunting and family.... more of a commute but better time off and schedule. Time is more important to me than pay...

Ditto...flexibility is key. My benefits pretty much stink, but flexibility is very nice. Been taking dang near a month of to hunt the rut for 10 years now. Never had an issue.

Off Oct 27th-Nov 22nd.... a Dor like vacation for this rut ;)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”