Dealing with your job during hunting season.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail007
500 Club

Re: Dealing with your job during hunting season.

Unread postby whitetail007 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:19 pm

i use my 2 weeks all at one shot. boss hates it, i love it. :D

I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Boo
500 Club

Unread postby Boo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:04 pm

I work at least 5 days a week, sometimes seven and I have to travel a lot for work. It puts a huge dent in my hunting time. Right now I am in Idaho for two weeks working on a new wind farm (working seven 12 hour days so no time for hunting out here). I have to go where we have work. It is fun to see the country but it gets old traveling so much. I get a few short days here and there when I am in town and go hunting and I plan to take the week before gun season off to bowhunt. I am trying to get ahead now so I can relax later in life and hopefully have a schedule like Dor and Bucky!
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:28 pm

I'm self employed and my boss is a jerk. :lol:
I haven't hunted yet this season but once I wrap up all my work I'm locking up the tools and will be on the road hunting most of Nov and Dec.
jboswell
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.boswell.12

Unread postby jboswell » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:37 pm

3 weeks vaca for me... usually one week for the family vacation and then two weeks in the rut, unless I tag out early then I go back to work and take those days off during our late muzz season.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Man I'm working like 60 hours a week right now to thin out the work so I can get the afternoons off from 11/4-11/15. I think you just have to make the hunting work with your schedule. Used to be I could only hunt weekends and then I hunted every weekend the whole season, wasn't bad.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:49 am

My father in law once asked me how I found all the time to go huntin. I told him I've never found any time but have made a bunch of it. That was before I was self employed. Owning my own buisness, I just can't leave the work or problems for the next shift and just go home, It falls on me to make sure things get done. But I can still find time to get out when I want to, or most of the time I can. It's just hard to plan very far out in the future.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:39 am

I not only have a job but a very busy family life like most of you. I drop three kids off at school in the morning even after having only gone to bed at 3:30-4am due to work. After that I sleep a bit and then pick up my 4 year old at noon to watch the rest of the day until work or my wife gets home on my off days. Have to do it to save childcare costs but it sure leaves me exhausted.

I have already started to brainstorm ways to get help during my time off this fall. It is going to be tough, but it looks like I will at least get some prime hunting days in which will be great.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:18 am

What kind of jobs do you guys have to be able to take these huge chunks of time off? I might need a career change!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:40 am

I always found a place close so I could barrel out after work and get in an hour or two before the clock change (daylight savings time). You gotta do, what you gotta do, and then do it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:04 am

early in my career i was more of a weekend warrior, now i have been a nurse at the same place for 16.5 years and have gotten up to 4 weeks of vacation a year that i take all at once add in my regular days off with a couple holidays or casual days and i end up with 38 days off in a row. this year i will be off oct. 19th --nov. 25th. being that i do this i hve learned to give up most of my early season or hunt near home so i can have family time due to the fact that i will be away from my family so much on my vacation. my wife has gotten accustomed to my hunting time off. ( she was made aware of it before we got married also :lol: ) i work 11 months straight with basically no time off then take it all at once and get my sanity back in the stand.....
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:30 am

Used to get two week block (first two of November). This year it was hacked to one because of a new role in the company where I am the only anlayst for a specific program. Good thing is I'll probably be in a new role by the 2013 fall season. Since I picked off a buck already, taking one week off to hunt out of state in Ohio isn't that big of a deal.

I agree, being able to find a spot close to work is a wonderful idea. You never know...
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:04 am

I too am self employed. I work 12-16 hour days all spring and summer, I save every dime i can during that time to cover the bills during the season. Typically, I am finishing up a couple of big jobs in the beginning of October, so I don't hunt the early season. Once the end of October rolls in, I am gone for 6 weeks straight. After tagging out, I sleep in and do some much needed improvements around the house. I am extremely blessed to have such a grace giving family. There is no way I could hunt that hard if my Bride wasn't on board. She knew I was a deer junkie before we said "I do". Works for me, but eats at me not making it out for the first 3 weeks.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:25 am

headgear wrote:What kind of jobs do you guys have to be able to take these huge chunks of time off? I might need a career change!!

I will only go for jobs with decent pay, decent boss, weekends off, and vacation time/payed or unpayed. No exceptions.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:28 am

Been taking hunting season off all my life. I love deer hunting too much to be working during it. I don't take off any days all year long. I give my boss a good 10 1/2 months and take a few weeks for myself. You only live once. I wouldn't be able to handle a job where I couldn't hunt.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:33 am

Between my family and my job, I try to work it out the best I can using weekends and vacation days. I also have spots nearby the house since I cannot always get to my parents hunting land which is a couple hour drive. I am going to try some morning hunts since I start work later and have no choice to start earlier.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”