question for Dan or any successful mature deer hunter

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

exojam

question for Dan or any successful mature deer hunter

Unread postby exojam » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:51 am

I am on my second round of watching both the “Hunting Marsh Bucks” and “Hill Country” DVD’s.
I have to say that these are great DVD’s containing information I would never had thought of (begin new to hunting).

Most of the videos content is discussing hunting mature bucks. The need to be silent moving in and the need to change spots as needed is spoke of quite a bit.

Now since I am in a wheelchair and will need to be in a blind, my thoughts right now are that I will never be able to access where a mature buck is bedded and without that type of information I just do not feel that killing one will ever be in my future. Just the way things go sometimes.

So my question is and I hope this is worded correctly. What would be the age of deer that I could hunt successfully with the added noise that will come along with my means of access (scooter) and the noise of getting a blind up?

Thanks in advance I hope my question makes some sense.

James

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: question for Dan or any successful mature deer hunter

Unread postby jlh42581 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:06 am

I dont think it will limit the age of bucks you could see, especially in the rut, you just wont be able to get to certain locations. You may need to sit back a little further than normal and hope for the best.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:12 am

exojam wrote:I am on my second round of watching both the “Hunting Marsh Bucks” and “Hill Country” DVD’s.
I have to say that these are great DVD’s containing information I would never had thought of (begin new to hunting).

Most of the videos content is discussing hunting mature bucks. The need to be silent moving in and the need to change spots as needed is spoke of quite a bit.

Now since I am in a wheelchair and will need to be in a blind, my thoughts right now are that I will never be able to access where a mature buck is bedded and without that type of information I just do not feel that killing one will ever be in my future. Just the way things go sometimes.

So my question is and I hope this is worded correctly. What would be the age of deer that I could hunt successfully with the added noise that will come along with my means of access (scooter) and the noise of getting a blind up?

Thanks in advance I hope my question makes some sense.

James

Well its true, that on your own you may have some extreme difficulty hunting buck beds in the thick nasty stuff. I wouldn't say that you will never kill a mature buck. Your best time frames will be reduced likely to very early season (if you have private ground) hunting feeding areas if your pretty lucky.

But as far as the Rut goes....you are in the game for sure if you can sit funnels. Not all funnels are hard to get to and some are very close to roads and often overlooked. The key will be to find spots where you can get into and spend the whole day watching those travel corridors. Big bucks will move them during the daylight no doubt during the Rut.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 am

I agree with the others. you can scout via google earth and maybe have someone locate some beds for you. from there you can pick funnels and pinchpoints that the deer would use based on food sources near by.. if you have private ground, you can even make some pinch points by having someone knock down some trees. use the rut to your advantage. but really stay in the game as much as you can and make hunting enjoyable.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:35 am

If you can get help with set ups, you could create hunting situations that allow you to hunt key bedding/staging areas... a path could be made to get you close somewhat quietly.. I would recommend going in early so your hitting it when the bucks are groggy rather than bedded alert. Getting there early will also give the buck plenty of time to forget about a noise you make...
I can promise you that it will be harder for you to kill a mature buck. But if your driven and set your mind to it, you can overcome all obstacles...
However, I do think your getting a little ahead of yourself... Set your goals so they are obtainable. 1st shoot deer, then a buck, then a bigger buck... However you do it, just have fun! Its not about killing a deer, its about chase... Some guys limit themselves by using bows, some by using traditional type bows, some hunt off the ground in an attempt to make the hunt more challenging.
You have no choice with your challenges...

Way back when we had the other site we had a guy who joined who was a very avid big buck hunter. He was driving home from hunting Buffalo county after a long hunt and fell asleep and hit a truck head on... He was paralyzing, and had some much worse problems than that because of the accident.. He kept telling me he just wanted to get out and hunt at least one more time before he died... The doctors said no... I agreed with him, its his life, let him live it. I built him a gun/crossbow mount at my work that he could mount to his wheelchair and another of the forum members (who wishes to remain anominous gave him the money to buy a crossbow... The guy was in really bad shape... His brother took him out with the wheel chair and they made a blind they could park a truck in with his wheel chair in the back... Somehow by the grace of god, he shot a nice 8 point buck... It was the 1st time he sounded happy... Shortly after that he died as a result of his injurys. His brother contacted me to thank me and inform me of the bad news...
My point in this is, if that guy, on his death bed could do it, you can too... You just need to believe you can.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:05 am

Gr8 story Dan!

Exojam - It sounds like you confidense & will have success alone from that!
I'm only a state away if you need anything...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:06 am

Guys,

Thank you very much for your replies.

I really hope my post did not come off as feeling sorry for myself since I am in a wheelchair. Those days are long gone. I realize everyone has bad days if they are able to walk. I have been in the chair for 12 years now and know that’s the way things are, such is life :D

What I was trying to get at in my post was that since a mature buck has got to that age by learning how to stay alive via scent, sight etc, around what age do they really start to put things together.

So as an example, in one of the DVD’s there is talk about how a mature buck would walk across does paths to see if one needed his attention, whereas a young buck just sort of goes straight into the doe bedding area all gung ho.

So would a 1 year old here some noise and not be really bothered about it compared to say a 3 year old who would really take notice of that noise? I hope this makes a little sense.

Also just to be clear I am not trying right now to go after what most of you guys are, that is so far past my skill it would be silly to try and jump that far ahead.

I have also attached a topo and a “bing” map of the two areas I will be able to hunt this year. Please keep in mind that the only activity I have seen on camera is does (but that is from the one camera I have, did I say I was new to this). I understand I may have to let the rut begin before I see anything and the areas I have available might be small, but I have to start small this year. The areas in green are where I can get to. The one on the left is about 100 acres and the one on the right is the rod and gun club I am a member of that is about 220 acres. The areas in red are off limits to hunters.

Thanks again, James

exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:10 am

Edcyclopedia,

I will actually see if I can take you up on that offer.

What I need is to have someone walk in the woods with me and show me what in the world I would be looking for. I have been in all those woods around my house looking for any sign of deer and am probably just rolling right on by it. My house is pretty much right in the middle of those attached pictures.

James
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:30 am

I know guys that have killed slobs just walking the WMA's here in MA. Luck plays a part, but the more you're in the woods the greater your chances are. Timing is everything. Hunt the rut hard. Sounds like you have the time to put in. Hunt the doe areas hard during the rut and you are in the game. Maybe not "beast style" but success is success.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”