passing bucks question?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

passing bucks question?

Unread postby tim » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:59 am

so passing bucks becomes more routine it seems than killing bucks in search for a mature buck. my question is this do you seem to notice the 1.5 year old deer that you pass sticking around. it seems to me that when i pass on 1.5 year old deer that i rarely get pics of them the next year or i cant recognize them because of the size they put on. when i pass the 2.5 year olds they are much quicker to stay around and get pics the next year if they survive. i suppose a lot of those 1.5 year olds are getting killed but im thinking they are dispersing to other areas . so it would seem im managing someone elses deer heard and i am relying to an extent on my neighbors for those 1.5 year olds. so i pass the 1.5 year olds then they disperse to the neighbors and get killed, they kill their 1.5 year olds and dont get dispersed to my land to become 2.5 year olds :lol: your land really is only as good as your surrounding neighbors management practices and that can be frustrating.......now im rambling ,does this make any sense or am i overthinking it.......

Bucky

Re: passing bucks question?

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:06 am

tim wrote:so passing bucks becomes more routine it seems than killing bucks in search for a mature buck. my question is this do you seem to notice the 1.5 year old deer that you pass sticking around. it seems to me that when i pass on 1.5 year old deer that i rarely get pics of them the next year or i cant recognize them because of the size they put on. when i pass the 2.5 year olds they are much quicker to stay around and get pics the next year if they survive. i suppose a lot of those 1.5 year olds are getting killed but im thinking they are dispersing to other areas . so it would seem im managing someone elses deer heard and i am relying to an extent on my neighbors for those 1.5 year olds. so i pass the 1.5 year olds then they disperse to the neighbors and get killed, they kill their 1.5 year olds and dont get dispersed to my land to become 2.5 year olds :lol: your land really is only as good as your surrounding neighbors management practices and that can be frustrating.......now im rambling ,does this make any sense or am i overthinking it.......

Yearlings typically disperse to other areas... sometimes they stay but often they go. The other thing is that they change rack wise a ton from 1.5 to 2.5... it is very hard to keep track of who is who unless they have unique markings on their hide or a unique rack

Neighbors definetly have an impact on your land... especially with smaller acreage. But, if your property consists of nothing but bedding cover and has a year round water source you will always have the better bucks living on yours...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:44 am

my standards arnt to high, but ill pass a yearling every time and most 2.5.. sometimes. :D

i passed a 3 yr old last season with a really rack busted rack and he just showed up on my camera and hes a giant. :shock:

plus... my buddies would make fun of me for shooting a dink 4 pointer... lol ..... all this times and $$ invested and theres big deer to be killed!
You can't kill em on the couch
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:55 am

Bucky wrote:
tim wrote:so passing bucks becomes more routine it seems than killing bucks in search for a mature buck. my question is this do you seem to notice the 1.5 year old deer that you pass sticking around. it seems to me that when i pass on 1.5 year old deer that i rarely get pics of them the next year or i cant recognize them because of the size they put on. when i pass the 2.5 year olds they are much quicker to stay around and get pics the next year if they survive. i suppose a lot of those 1.5 year olds are getting killed but im thinking they are dispersing to other areas . so it would seem im managing someone elses deer heard and i am relying to an extent on my neighbors for those 1.5 year olds. so i pass the 1.5 year olds then they disperse to the neighbors and get killed, they kill their 1.5 year olds and dont get dispersed to my land to become 2.5 year olds :lol: your land really is only as good as your surrounding neighbors management practices and that can be frustrating.......now im rambling ,does this make any sense or am i overthinking it.......

Yearlings typically disperse to other areas... sometimes they stay but often they go. The other thing is that they change rack wise a ton from 1.5 to 2.5... it is very hard to keep track of who is who unless they have unique markings on their hide or a unique rack

Neighbors definetly have an impact on your land... especially with smaller acreage. But, if your property consists of nothing but bedding cover and has a year round water source you will always have the better bucks living on yours...

I agree with Bucky

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”