question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

attackone

question

Unread postby attackone » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:18 am

if a buck is bedded like normal and has the wind to his back, would he feed in a corn field that is 150 yds behind him or a corn field 500 yds in front of him which one is he more then likely to hit....will he go to the far one due to the fact the the wind will be at his back the whole time or will he go to the closer one or will there be other factors to play into it. I hope this question makes sense.

Bucky

Re: question

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 am

Which ever one he goes to it is likely that he will use the wind to scent check the opening for danger/predators... so think how they would travel on different winds to try and smell the field before entering...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:51 am

I could be wrong here but, I thought Dan has mentioned before that he doesn't see bucks using the wind to their addvantage as much when they are leaving their beds going out to feed... I'm not sure though if he meant that in hill country, marsh, or all types.... hopefully he or someone else can chime in about that....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:11 am

I am guessing it isn't set in stone at all. The bed is selected for daytime safety, not a staging point for close food. My bet would be water before food source.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:54 am

Which ever one he goes to it is likely that he will use the wind to scent check the opening for danger/predators... so think how they would travel on different winds to try and smell the field before entering...

Most times, I see bucks walking with the wind at their backs. My only gues is, they can see in front of them....and scent-check their 6.
Lateral Bowhunter
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:09 am

I think he will go to whichever corn field he prefers... He will decide which food source he likes best. The corn might be from differing genetic strains, and its likely one field has better soil than the other... I do not think wind will have any influence on which field he feeds in.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”