Calm morning bedding spots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Calm morning bedding spots

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:27 am

I am heading to Hill Country for the weekend. I am trying to determine what bedding areas to hunt tomorrow afternoon. They are calling fo no wind from about 1:00am Friday , then 5 mph SW winds at about 10:00am. My question is how will a buck determine which point to bed on, when there is no wind at bedding time?

phade
500 Club

Re: Calm morning bedding spots

Unread postby phade » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:49 am

Interesting...would a buck anticipate thermals?

Always wondered about that...sort of like training a dog...does a buck know that thermals will come to them if they say, lay in a spot that would allow for it in a few hours with sun up?
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:05 am

phade wrote:Interesting...would a buck anticipate thermals?

Always wondered about that...sort of like training a dog...does a buck know that thermals will come to them if they say, lay in a spot that would allow for it in a few hours with sun up?

I would say they have to be fully aware of thermals in order to pick the beds the pick prior to the thermal activity taking place.

how will a buck determine which point to bed on, when there is no wind at bedding time?

Despite what the weather says, there should be some sort of air current movement. You might need to check when you get there. If there is truly none, or close to none, I would expect bedding in the primary bedding that is associated with the "usual" winds for your area.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:28 am

In Hill Country Bucks Dan and hes crew talk about how a deer changes his bedding when the winds shifts. going from no wind to some wind may not be enough for a buck to change, but I'd keep that in mind and anticipate when and from where the wind will be when it gets to be hunting time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”