Stolen Stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike.E

Stolen Stand

Unread postby Mike.E » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Well it's a stand this time i have gotten stolen. I've finally had time to talk about it so here we go...

Two weeks before opening day in WI my father and i went out in the pouring rain and checked stands on a piece of property we have permission to hunt. We adjusted everything, checked for deer trails and headed out. Come opening morning we had a good West wind for one stand near some cedars where the deer bed in between their food source. My buddy was there to film the hunt, but as we got to the tree where my stand was.. NOTHING. Stand and climbing sticks were gone, but my bow rope was still there. I was in disbelief and my bud thought we went to the wrong tree. After whispering a few choice words, my bud said "nothing you can do, let's move it's getting light already." so we had to go to the next stand north of that 100yds and sit in a good spot, but not what i wanted.

Sure enough half hour after sunrise (6:30) a 4 year old 8 pointer walks 25 yds down a trail from where we should have been sitting. I have gotten only trail camera pictures of this buck for the previous two years and found his shed antler as a 2year old in 2010-2011 season. Disgusted, we were never able to find out who took the stand.

Other people hunt this piece too but we dont know them exactly, and bringing it up to the landowner will only eliminate our hunting the property im sure. It is near the border of another property but we know those people dont go there to mess with us.

Why they didnt take any other stands i dont know, but from now on im using the Lone Wolf Climber in the same tree our stand was in. And we've had the stand there for about 15 years, so why now? Oh well, the big buck just added to it all!!

heres the lucky buck in 2010:
And here he is in 2011:
Last edited by Mike.E on Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Stolen Stand

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:26 pm

That sucks.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Can't stand thieves! Mobile is the way to go.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:29 pm

I know how you feel, I had a trail cam stolen earlier this year. It makes me sick. I actually wonder who the scum is out there that thinks it's alright to do something like that.....

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:23 pm

sorry to hear that mike...I had a trail cam get ripped off last month and have know idea who took it.....drives me up the wall
When better is possible, good is never good enough
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:27 pm

I know how ugly this is from experience too. We had our cabin broken into last year and they took hunting stuff, mounts, etc. 37-years and not one issue but now.... No leads and you can't replace the mounts. Really sucks!!
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:13 pm

Sorry to hear. This is why my stand is on my back 100 percent of the time...I'll put steps in trees I want to hunt and just carry in my LW. If I wanna go mobile all I add is my sticks. Nothing there to steal and treesteps are hard to see unless you are looking for them. I don't trust people so the little anyone knows the better for me.
Mike.E

Unread postby Mike.E » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Stolen cams are getting to be regular it seems, but a cabin?!! Geez!

I had a camera stolen this summer too, so its been a chain of bad news. The camera was stolen off a different property we can hunt though. Thieves are everywhere these days, trust no one..
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:01 pm

Bummer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:49 am

That sucks! People can be so disrespectful of others property.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:28 am

Hate to hear. Sucks for sure. Hope the rest of your season is better.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:47 am

sorry to hear that Mike. Best of luck with the rest of your season. I feel like I need to go check stands and cameras!
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:50 am

Try this! Save your old junk trail cameras or get one from a buddy before he throws it away because it suddenly stopped working! Use it as a decoy! Then place your good camera up high and camouflage it the best you can. You will get better pictures of your game and maybe a picture of the thief taking the junk camera!
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:28 am

We have all likely been there with having a camera or a stand or steps stolen. It is really discouraging!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:38 am

It is the worst feeling... been there many times
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”