Beast Style Hunting Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Beast Style Hunting Question

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:44 am

Okay from my understanding, the BEAST method of hunting is not going to see a lot of deer. Idea being you are targeting a bedded buck.

Had me wondering the other day... while you guys are out that has experience BEAST method hunting...do you see many does?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Beast Style Hunting Question

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:52 am

backstraps wrote:Okay from my understanding, the BEAST method of hunting is not going to see a lot of deer. Idea being you are targeting a bedded buck.

Had me wondering the other day... while you guys are out that has experience BEAST method hunting...do you see many does?

Not hunting for does means I don't see a lot of them, but I usually see some every week or two. So far, I have seen 5 does and 4 bucks in in about 7 or 8 days of hunting only evenings. I could of shot two of the does, and all four bucks.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 am

I still see some does but they are usually mature does without fawns.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:58 am

Since I started hunting buck beds I rarely see does but if I do it seems to be a lone mature doe using buck bedding.

I think most people give up on this type of hunting because they will not be seeing lots of deer like they are use to. While you may not see a bunch of deer more than likely the ones you will see will be nice ones.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:01 pm

Dewey wrote:Since I started hunting buck beds I rarely see does but if I do it seems to be a lone mature doe using buck bedding.

I think most people give up on this type of hunting because they will not be seeing lots of deer like they are use to. While you may not see a bunch of deer more than likely the ones you will see will be nice ones.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

And in range too it sounds like.

I am ok with less deer, less deer mean less chance of other deer blowing the opportunity.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 pm

I like the answers. Was what I was hoping for. I have noticed the bed hunting for me since season opened (this pass Sat)
I have not had a single doe walk by. I thought it had to do something with the "new" areas I am hunting.
Its nice to find something along the way to help me feel assured I am doing something right in learning Beast tactics...if that makes sense?
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Haven't seen a deer yet. Not worried at all. I know if I stick with it I should get my chance. Last year I only saw a few bucks before I shot mine.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:43 pm

I only need to see one ;) Oh wait I did and he's going on the wall!! :D Beast style buck 8-) I am hooked for life :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:49 pm

I usually hunt for does and bucks differently. I don't see that many does when I sit near known bedding thickets.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:46 am

If I'm buck hunting (outside the rut) and see does, I pretty much figure I'm in the wrong place.

I have a spot I've only gotten the right wind to hunt (at the right time)....4-5X in 4yrs I've had access to it. I've seen several bucks up there (8?) and I've now seen a total of 4 does. Two of those were spotted (doe and a yearling doe) a week or so ago.....when I probably shouldn't have been up there, anyways.

I've take an 3.5yo and a 5.5yo from this general area.

Lots of times in the past, I'd see a spot I'd pinpointed on a topo that looked promising for a buck. If I sat there and saw a contingency of does, I checked it off the list (until a better time). My deer sightings have gone WAY down, over the years. But, that's by design. I see better bucks than I used to.....because I'm hunting in the right spots at the right times.

I am FAR from being a great buck hunter. But, I am a student who is more than happy to learn from history.
Lateral Bowhunter
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:54 am

I'm addicted to hunting super aggressive now.... in 3 bed sits I have seen 3 bucks.... close every time

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:26 am

Bucky you bring up a detail I'm certain before the season ends for me, I will need to make adjustments.....that's the word aggressive.

Scenario I had here....setup where I thought I could get a shot at a target buck. Just about 10 mins before closing time I seen a glimpse of him but OUT OF RANGE. I am still new and a little "gun shy" of getting in closer. After seeing where he came through, I instantly realized I could have closed that gap without much more effort or risk of bumping him in comparison to where I was setup.

I'm waiting for the wind to allow me another chance. I feel confident my entrance and exit will allow me the opportunity again so soon after my last visit once the wind is correct.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”