Todays hunt... Dead buck walking.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Todays hunt... Dead buck walking.

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:32 pm

I was running late tonight, but went out anyway with more spots to hunt than I will get completed. Been burning some spots trying to stack a target buck...
The hunt where I shot the buck I did not recover, I saw a little 5 point to... Well this hunt was a different bed and the 5 pointer came out again. This time he was bedded in the main buck bed.
I was putting up the 4th stick and looked over the canopy and realized I was busted as he was already out of his bed and coming down the trail. He stopped and staired at me 25 yards away and I really could not do much about it so I just ignored him and climbed down and got the stand and last stick. When I got the stand up I looked around for the buck and he had moved closer to 15 yards and was just watching the show... I dropped my rope, climbed down hooked up the bow with the buck just standing there watching me and taking the occasional bite of browse like it was popcorn at the show... Climbed back up and set up the camera arm and pulled the bow up while the buck just stood there... Eventually he walked back to the bedding area and went out the back door... That buck keeps that up and he ain't going to live long on the public marsh...

Jackson Marsh

Re: Todays hunt... Dead buck walking.

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:34 pm

dan wrote:I was running late tonight, but went out anyway with more spots to hunt than I will get completed. Been burning some spots trying to stack a target buck...
The hunt where I shot the buck I did not recover, I saw a little 5 point to... Well this hunt was a different bed and the 5 pointer came out again. This time he was bedded in the main buck bed.
I was putting up the 4th stick and looked over the canopy and realized I was busted as he was already out of his bed and coming down the trail. He stopped and staired at me 25 yards away and I really could not do much about it so I just ignored him and climbed down and got the stand and last stick. When I got the stand up I looked around for the buck and he had moved closer to 15 yards and was just watching the show... I dropped my rope, climbed down hooked up the bow with the buck just standing there watching me and taking the occasional bite of browse like it was popcorn at the show... Climbed back up and set up the camera arm and pulled the bow up while the buck just stood there... Eventually he walked back to the bedding area and went out the back door... That buck keeps that up and he ain't going to live long on the public marsh...

The term "young and dumb" comes to mind. I prefer them old and dumb.....................have yet to find one yet, maybe this year.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Too funny!

I like to save the dumb ones for the end of season if I have no venison... ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Cool story Dan, that just goes to show how much harder it is to kill a mature buck, they would never tolerate that. In my younger years I always thought any buck was smarter than does but not I see that 1.5 year olds and nubbin bucks are probably the easiest deer to kill in the woods. I bet a doe the same age would have been long gone too. I agree, he won't last long being so carefree!
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:43 pm

Doe tag from last year?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:04 am

Cool story and good writing! I could envision the whole thing :D . I know you said you pulled your bow back up, but did he wait around long enough for you have been able to get off a shot, if you had wanted to? Maybe he has now educated himself and will be the hardest buck to hunt in the swamp. Or maybe it's like Alsheimer says, "Yearling bucks are the dumbest bucks in the woods".
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:21 am

Neat story, curiosity kills.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:54 am

Those lil guys can be downright dumb, had a few encounters like that myself. Basically he watched me climb into my stand directly downwind of me. Thought I was busted for sure but he just put his nose up and kept on feeding.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:05 am

NatureBoy wrote:Cool story and good writing! I could envision the whole thing :D . I know you said you pulled your bow back up, but did he wait around long enough for you have been able to get off a shot, if you had wanted to? Maybe he has now educated himself and will be the hardest buck to hunt in the swamp. Or maybe it's like Alsheimer says, "Yearling bucks are the dumbest bucks in the woods".

Yea... He stuck around for a while. After getting set up I even filmed him for a little while.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:56 am

Yep. That acorn cruncher sure calms them down. I saw it on tv.

Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:02 am

He wanted a really good whiff of you so he knew what to stay away from in a couple of years.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”