Doe presence = Buck presence?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

exojam

Re: Doe presence = Buck presence?

Unread postby exojam » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:11 am

Dan,

To be honest I only get around as good my scooter allows me. Can I access much of the stuff an able bodied person can, not at all but all long as hills are not to steep and areas not covered with inches of fallen leafs I am OK. It is a pretty tough scooter and it has paid me back in spades for the money I spent on it and without it I would probably not be getting into any woods.

I am really going to take this year as a baby step year. I am just watching one of your videos and I obviously have so much to learn it is not funny. I am hoping that after this hunting season I can get back into the woods before the leaves come back and really dig around per say get some more cameras up to actually see what is in my area.

JV,

Thanks for your input as well.

James

exojam

Unread postby exojam » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:46 am

OK Dan, your DVD just made me laugh. I kept hearing you three talk about “staging area” and I was thinking to myself what the heck is a “staging area”. Next comes in chapter 6, staging area. This DVD (and I have not made it to the “Hunting March Bucks” one as of yet) have made me realize I am an ignorant person in hunting right now. This is nothing like the TV shows I have been watching.

James
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:59 am

We have a mineral/feed site on some private land. I only have all does on camera now too, but I will tell you as the rut nears I will be getting pictures of bucks I have not seen before. We do quite well with stands setup about two hundred yards or so out. The big bucks will circle the site trying to scent a receptive doe so we try to locate stands where they are vulnerable as they try to scent check. Keep the faith and soon bucks should be popping up on your camera.
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:30 pm

I also really recommend having a few places you can set up. After a sit or 2, your chances for seeing deer in that location go down pretty drastically. I would really encourage you to try to get access to some farm land. Most farms have access trails, fairly 'smooth' field surfaces and log roads that allow great access to most of the property. Also as a side benefit these access areas deer are somewhat comfortable with coming across some scent and not bugging out as they expect farmers to occasionally be there. On my uncles farm, There are lots of spots I would hunt and EXPECT to see deer that i could be dropped off by a pickup and not have to move 50ft and be set up pretty good. Just another thought to consider. Farms hold deer cause of all the food. That might give you an advantage starting out.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:23 pm

ExoJam,

You should make a thread profiling your hunting season this year. That way everyone is updated on your hunts and we can help you make adjustments and give advice to you. Dan could make it a sticky and everyone could help and chime in. I'd love to offere advice and help you in anyway possible. You are a true inspiration.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:52 am

Here's a tip for you James: I've been following the guys here since 2008, and over the course of those 5 years I've noticed that our rut here in E MA is at least a week, sometimes two weeks or more, later than they are seeing out there. You will see little guys seeking early, but generally not the big ones. They are typically seeing rut action late October, first week of November. Out here it really starts to pick up around Veteran's Day. The shotgunners typically get in on the second rut a month later. Alsheimer's moon guide is a good one to follow for the NE area.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:37 am

TTT

[glow=red]How you makin out James?[/glow]
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:39 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:ExoJam,

You should make a thread profiling your hunting season this year. That way everyone is updated on your hunts and we can help you make adjustments and give advice to you. Dan could make it a sticky and everyone could help and chime in. I'd love to offere advice and help you in anyway possible. You are a true inspiration.

There you go Big fella - how bout it?!!!

Excellent idea MoBuck.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”