No spikes or forks this year?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

No spikes or forks this year?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:41 am

In the places I've hunted so far this fall, I haven't seen a single spike or forkhorn, nor have a gotten any on trail cameras. There have been at least 3 yearling bucks I have seen, one is a six pointer, and two are small basket racked 8's. Is anyone else seeing the same trend? Might it have to do with the mild winter we had? Or is this more a sign of genetics in the area? Or is it mostly dependent on the available food sources the deer have throughout the summer (lots of corn)?

headgear
500 Club

Re: No spikes or forks this year?

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:47 am

Propbably a little bit of everything but I think the major contributer is the mild winter. In my bigwoods locations the spikers somes only get 3-4 inches long, if we get a mild winter those same spikers might be 7-10 inches long. Other forks and 6's also sport more antler, it is pretty rare to find a yearly 8 up here but there have to be a few of them out there.
utica19

Re: No spikes or forks this year?

Unread postby utica19 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:21 am

I hadn't really thought about it much, but now that you mention it we haven't seen any spikes either. (though that isn't that uncommon for us). But on Sunday afternoon I had a group of five, year and a half old bucks come out together to feed. They all had at least 6 point racks. Generally , i would think that at least one of them would be a spike.
I video'd them for awhile (not sure if the link attached properly)

http://youtu.be/iRjTLR2t7Po

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”