Need a recomendation for a safety harness

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adrenalin
500 Club

Re: Need a recomendation for a safety harness

Unread postby adrenalin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:23 am

I have always used the free one that comes with the lone wolf. Is a $100 one really that much better? I can't bring myself to spend the money without trying one on. It seems hard to believe you could find one lighter than the free one. Anyone have expierence with both the free one and a HSS that could give pros and cons?

RED OAK

Unread postby RED OAK » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:28 am

Muddy...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bpaulson

Unread postby bpaulson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:49 am

Also just got my first harness which is a muddy and im really impressed. barely notice its on.
metropig

Unread postby metropig » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:57 pm

adrenalin wrote:I have always used the free one that comes with the lone wolf. Is a $100 one really that much better? I can't bring myself to spend the money without trying one on. It seems hard to believe you could find one lighter than the free one. Anyone have expierence with both the free one and a HSS that could give pros and cons?

The biggest difference for me between the HSS and the free harnesses I have tried is the buckles. All of the free ones I have used require you to thread the straps through while the HSS has buckles similar to a seatbelt. The buckles are nice especially if you get hot or cold on stand and want to add or shed a layer of clothing. That being said if you are good with threading the straps then there probably is no reason for you to spend money on a new one. Some people like the pockets on the vest style ones, but I prefer the stipped down model.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:36 am

Thanks guys

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:14 am

adrenalin wrote:I have always used the free one that comes with the lone wolf. Is a $100 one really that much better? I can't bring myself to spend the money without trying one on. It seems hard to believe you could find one lighter than the free one. Anyone have expierence with both the free one and a HSS that could give pros and cons?

For me the free ones are always a hassle and tangle mess. I HSS Pro is a vest I just put on and snap the bucles shut... Most guys seem to like the ultra-lite types but I like the vest one cause I wear different outfits every day based on camo needs and weather but I always have everything I nned in the pockets on my hss vest.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:12 am

I walk out in a long sleeve t shirt every hunt whether it 70 degrees or 0 degrees so i put the harness on at the truck and all my clothes go over it when i get to my tree. A vest would be nice to just bungie to the stand though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Yeah I've been looking at getting a safety harness too. I currently have been using the one that came with my Assault and It's okay, but It gets tangled up and sometimes it's really a pain in the you know what to figure out. I've been looking at the Lone Wolf harness or maybe tree spider or the HSS.
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:53 pm

I am a bigger guy and nobody seems to have my size. Was at gander to look for a HSS or muddy. No sizes in stock. I have to try them on cant just order them - I guess I am anal. Did some research and lots of bigger guys give the gorilla good reviews. They had one at gander G30 model and asked if I could take it out of the package and try it out. I am pretty impressed and it felt great. A little heavier than the muddy and HSS but that doesn't bother me that much. So I am a proud owner tonight of a gorilla G30. If a bigger guy you may want to give them a look.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”