Hunting dry marshes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Hunting dry marshes

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:41 am

I know there are plenty of marsh hunters here. Just wondering if you have had to adjust your tactics due to the extremely dry conditions?

All of the marshes I hunt are bone dry and never saw it this bad in over 30 years of hunting them. It does open up a lot more bedding and I am finding beds in places that previously were always under water.

Another tactic I have been using is hunting closer to the water that is available like rivers or ditches that still hold some. It's getting harder and harder to find.

Anybody else finding this to be more of a challenge?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunting dry marshes

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:08 am

Yep... Same thing here... The primary bedding areas are still holding bucks, but in some areas they are bedding out in the cattails making it tough to get them.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:22 am

I had this problem last fall too, bucks seemed to have a lot of bedding options. I also found a lot more hunter sign in areas I would never run into anyone else previous years.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:21 am

It's crazy that some areas that have been huge pools of water are now dried up and are actually getting overgrown with weeds now. :shock:

Sure feels weird hunting the marsh and not hearing a single duck splashing in the water or muskrats scurrying around. Even the beaver ponds are dried up and the beaver lodge is vacant. Not sure where they went?

Last year water levels around here were quite high so this really surprises me it got bad this fast.

Deer sign is harder to find now since they are not leaving much for tracks and are spread out over a much larger area. Deer can bed pretty much anywhere now and cattails are like hunting one huge cornfield except much thicker!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:29 am

I have noticed expanded bedding areas as well.... meaning they are bedding in new areas that are typically under water
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:38 am

I too just located a ridiculous bedding area that was underwater last year with no beds. now its tore up with rubs and trails everywhere...

While walking to a couple spots in the cattails I found random beds...pretty tough. But still fun!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:13 am

Walking in on Saturday I was also thinking the bucks could bed anywhere too, but I still had 3 bucks come out of what I was assuming was the primary bedding area. Sure makes for easy walking in the cattails.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”