Excluding dates between Oct 20th - Nov30th - POLL Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How many 3.5 year OR older bucks have you killed?

Zero
37%
1-2
41%
3-5
13%
5-10
8%
+10
2%

Total votes: 63
Edcyclopedia

Excluding dates between Oct 20th - Nov30th - POLL Question

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:59 am

I'm trying to grasp/balance the amount of time I spend hunting in the "off-season" (non-rut).
I chose these dates based off my experiences and buck activity "I've seen"
Also I based these dates off hunting aquaintences answers and discussions (from my memory) and figured I would broden the question to a larger audience...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Edcyclopedia

Re: Excluding dates between Oct 20th - Nov30th - POLL Questi

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:08 pm

It's OK to Brag about zero like I did :oops:
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:18 pm

Zero, only have one 4.5 year old and he fell to a muzzleloader on November 10th during one of the CWD seasons.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:37 pm

The big 0.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Think I have shot 1 buck that was 3.5, but dont remember what the date was, just the year. :?
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:46 pm

Very interesting topic Ed.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:53 pm

Good thread Ed. It seams to be a consensus that pattering a buck during the rut is very difficult (not impossible). And pattering a buck before the rut is much easier (not improbable). I then see a lot of posts, that rut hunting is considered less admirable. So if a guy gets his target buck before the rut, is this a greater accomplishment, than killing a target buck during the rut? I hope you get a good response and hunters don't hold back from peer pressure. I have killed bucks on opening day and the last day of the season. When working, I could only hunt after work until I took vacation in November. So I have taken more bucks in November than October. Our season didn't used to start until the 15th Of October. So on your poll that would give me 5 days compared to 41 days. Our season now starts October 1st. I think it would be safe to say the odds are against scoring more out of the window (Oct. 20-Nov.30th) on the poll.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:28 pm

I had to submit a ZERO. However I think I may have made an error. I did harvest one 3.5 year old 10pt on Oct 18th.

I know for certain though the mast majority of bucks I have killed have all fell in the first two of of NOV
I guess they get a little caught it in finding love they loose their senses. :)
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:05 pm

Stanley wrote:then see a lot of posts, that rut hunting is considered less admirable. So if a guy gets his target buck before the rut, is this a greater accomplishment, than killing a target buck during the rut?

Won't hear that from me. I'll take em when ever, where ever, how ever. I'm an equal opertunity buck eliminator. :D

For the record I've taken 3 bucks before Oct 20th.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:35 pm

I have 4. One last year on Oct 2nd, and 3 from previous seasons that all fell in December
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:18 pm

Stanley wrote:Good thread Ed. It seams to be a consensus that pattering a buck during the rut is very difficult (not impossible). And pattering a buck before the rut is much easier (not improbable). I then see a lot of posts, that rut hunting is considered less admirable. So if a guy gets his target buck before the rut, is this a greater accomplishment, than killing a target buck during the rut? I hope you get a good response and hunters don't hold back from peer pressure. I have killed bucks on opening day and the last day of the season. When working, I could only hunt after work until I took vacation in November. So I have taken more bucks in November than October. Our season didn't used to start until the 15th Of October. So on your poll that would give me 5 days compared to 41 days. Our season now starts October 1st. I think it would be safe to say the odds are against scoring more out of the window (Oct. 20-Nov.30th) on the poll.

My intent was to quantitfy (to me) the amount of hours put into the "pre-season" to get results.
Let's face it I have ADD (or EDD-Y as I like to say) and lose steam without forfilling my quest (@ moments), hence the need for me to upland game hunt = ACTION...

I realize this poll may not be a "complete" poll for all audiences and created the question based off a response I made to about being patient in the "off-season" (non-rut)
Clearly from my own observations and friends that I trust their judgement (who hunt ALL weapons), that most big (mature) bucks are taken during the rut
- no news there...!!!

So many variables to figure out and/or discuss like amount of hunters in the woods moving deer around during firearms season, hot Doe's, chase, pre-rut, rut, etc...

I consider this site a pot of gold at the end a buck (rainbow) and thought this question may raise other hunters own question(s) about employing new tactics.
Namely taking the time to have fun, removing a little pressure (I know I get frustrated @ times), and realize that experience and scouting plays two of the biggest roles in success.

To comment about the statement above - I totally agree with both! If I shot two mature bucks both ways then I might have a formable opinion.
However ANY mature buck is hard to kill in these eyes!!! My track record proves it. :oops:

I'm still looking for someone to come out with a new book called Mature Buck Hunting for Dummies!!! :mrgreen:

Question to all you Fancy Big Mature Buck Hunters out there?
- If you have ever seen the movie Saving Private Ryan I would hope that one of you would take the same innitiative to save my deer hunting sole :lol:
str8shooter

Unread postby str8shooter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:43 pm

I fell into the 1-2 category, but I've only killed one...and that was just a few days ago. I have passed on mature bucks though in the past two seasons(last year was a 3 1/2 y.o., the year prior to that a 4 1/2 y.o. with a small rack) in the first week of the season. I love the rut and have traditionally always tagged my buck during the first two weeks of November.
Find his shed, find his bed, use your head to make him dead.
RUTIN
Facebook: Zach Taylor

Unread postby RUTIN » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:33 am

2 to be exact, but the amount of deer that show up after the rut on a food source here in OH is amazing. Ive had some amazing encounters with animals that I didnt have a shot at or was already tagged out and couldnt kill. Dec.-Jan. has shown some absolute giants on my small suburban spots!
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:56 am

I'm in the 1-2 category. Shot a 154 incher on October 12th one year between his bedding area and an Oak Flat.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:13 am

One, October 14th, 2007.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”