Coughing or sneezing on stand

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Coughing or sneezing on stand

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:02 pm

I hate to admit it but I often have to cough while on stand. I have chronic cough through the day and I think it is because of a past job I had where they used hand cleaner (like the gritty shop hand cleaners) as lubricants on the mufflers before they were welded. Anyway I developed a nasty cough back in 2006 that I never had before inhaling that so much. I get pneumonia every year as well, so yeah bad lungs. I also have bad allergies a lot so my nose is always running and "builds up" in my throat. I can usually tell when I need to cough because it gets raspy and rattle-ey and I have time to try and cough into my coat. It is a violent cough too, and unfortunately I think I am stuck with it.

My question is does anyone have any suggestions for best dealing with it? I tried cough drops and those just put off the inevitable, I have to cough every few hours. Also, sometimes you get a whiff of pollen or dust and have to sneeze, I can usually feel that coming on and have time to muffle it with my coat, but I cringe every time it happens. I tried the cough muffler and that only made it worse, it had so much back pressure I couldn't get a good cough so I ended up coughing more than just getting it out of the way and moving on, not to mention you feel like your eyes are gonna pop out from the pressure.

These are not idea, but I want to know how every one else deals with this?

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Coughing or sneezing on stand

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:22 pm

I have trouble with coughing and throat drainage. Something that works well for me is sucking on Werther's hard candies the whole time. You can't do that with cough drops. The cough muffler didn't work for me either. As far as pollen, etc, I'm not sure what to do. Maybe try to breath out of your mouth more? Works for me. I would try the Werthers though, I think they will help you. The buttery smooth flavor seems to work for me. I often tuck them between my cheek and teeth when I don't feel I'm in danger of coughing. I go through a few an hour.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:16 am

Is the cough a congestion issue? IE you are coughing because you have fluid/gunk building up?

If so, I'd look into a decongestant and saline rinse (they suck but will work). May also want to look at a saline spray - I think there is a new one made by arm and hammer out now.

Could cost a few bucks because some of that med is expensive, even over the counter, but worth it if it works.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:04 am

for sneezing on stand I learned a trick from my uncle who learned this in Vietnam hiding in the woods. You cant sneeze apparently with your eyes open....go ahead and try it next time. on stand, when i have to sneeze and its quiet in the woods, holding my eyes open manually with my fingers will make any sneeze subside. Its weird I know, but it definately works. you feel that sneeze coming... hold your eyes open and it goes away.

for your cough, I don't have any suggestion for that.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:27 am

I was wondering the same thing this weekend while hunting bear. I had to cough and did several time. Deer cough and sneeze, so how much would our coughing and sneezing really bother them, as long as it wasn't exessive?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:31 am

matt1336 wrote:I was wondering the same thing this weekend while hunting bear. I had to cough and did several time. Deer cough and sneeze, so how much would our coughing and sneezing really bother them, as long as it wasn't exessive?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I have heard that the human cough is the most indentifiyable sound to let a deer know a human is around. Not sure how true it is but I read it in a magazine at some point.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:26 pm

I wonder if my netty pot might help out a little bit before going into the woods, and I will for sure pick up some worthers originals!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:39 pm

My buddy had a gadget called a cough silencer that came out on the market many years ago. For a stupid gadget, it really really works. Seriously, try to find it on Amazon or something because I was shocked it would work.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Tip to stop a sneeze. When you feel the urge to sneeze coming on pinch your bottom lip with your fingers. Works every time. Chewing gum seems to help with the coughing problem.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:17 pm

The cough sllencer works. I have one and keep it in my tub of bowhunting stuff. I pull it out whenever I am sick and bowhunting. Usually that is once a year. Get one and you won't be disappointed.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:27 pm

I have tried the HS cough muffler, is the cough silencer different from it? The HS muffler has so much pressure you muffle the cough but you also can't get a productive cough so you end up making more attempts to actually clear your throat.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:33 pm

Cough into your grunt tube....
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Zap wrote:Cough into your grunt tube....

thats hard to do, its in the pixie dust bin on the top shelf!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I wonder if my netty pot might help out a little bit before going into the woods, and I will for sure pick up some worthers originals!

Let me know if they work for you.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”