Small game hunters and bucks??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Small game hunters and bucks??

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:55 pm

this past week when i was off hunting, i was up at the cabin from Tuesday on. the neighboring property is owned by A m i s h. they let Hmong squirrel hunters in there and it was a massacre....every 3-5 minutes BOOM BOOM BOOM ALL DAY LONG :roll: makes me wonder how many animals they had down.... how do you think the deer react to this?
nocturnal by nature, how will this affect them know?
they were close to some of my best bedding that i haven't even hit yet :cry: its not looking good.
looks like i might just have to wait till rut when i know no one is around.

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
ompaathao

Re: Small game hunters and bucks??

Unread postby ompaathao » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:04 am

I know how you feel about squirrel hunters.. It sucks.. But Hmong squirrel hunters usually go at it early in the morning until mid day when the squirrels get educated and head for cover.. They usually hunt in teams of 2 or 3 to cover more ground.. I know of a lot of Hmong who only hunts squirrels.. That's what they wait all year for.. I would say by Mid October.. Things would get quieter.. I'm not a squirrel hunter but love it when my Ma cooks them.. JUST AWESOME!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:24 am

In situations like that the deer might just hunker down and wait for the crazyness to pass, or slip out the back to return another day, its not good but I don't think you can call the place ruined.

In wolf country a lot of people think the wolves will push the deer out of an area for a week after they come through, what generally happens is the deer just bed down and stay put until they know the threat is gone. Sometimes we don't see a single deer for a few days, sometimes its a week but they won't move much until they know it is safe. Some do relocate so it might depend on the situation and how the individual deer react.

It might not be a perfect to compare wolves and small game hunter pressure but in some situations it might work.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:48 am

ompaathao wrote:I know how you feel about squirrel hunters.. It sucks.. But Hmong squirrel hunters usually go at it early in the morning until mid day when the squirrels get educated and head for cover.. They usually hunt in teams of 2 or 3 to cover more ground.. I know of a lot of Hmong who only hunts squirrels.. That's what they wait all year for.. I would say by Mid October.. Things would get quieter.. I'm not a squirrel hunter but love it when my Ma cooks them.. JUST AWESOME!

i have nothing against Hmong personally, its just squirrel hunters in general. i guess i shouldn't have said Hmong, just squirrel hunters. really it could be any one over there i just so happened to know who it is...

they would show up about 3pm right when you get set up and all of a sudden BOOM BOOM BOOM!!! up until dark.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:50 am

headgear wrote:In situations like that the deer might just hunker down and wait for the crazyness to pass, or slip out the back to return another day, its not good but I don't think you can call the place ruined.

In wolf country a lot of people think the wolves will push the deer out of an area for a week after they come through, what generally happens is the deer just bed down and stay put until they know the threat is gone. Sometimes we don't see a single deer for a few days, sometimes its a week but they won't move much until they know it is safe. Some do relocate so it might depend on the situation and how the individual deer react.

It might not be a perfect to compare wolves and small game hunter pressure but in some situations it might work.

i hear ya..... ill still hunt over on that side of the property this rut any thing can happen... but i think for know its down until then.....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:12 am

So..... what's an Hmong?
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 am

Southern Man wrote:So..... what's an Hmong?

Hmong are an Asian ethnic group from the mountainous regions of china veitenam or Thailand.......
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:30 am

Don't worry about it BH.. I'm not a fan of squirrel hunters either... Early season I try to stay away from the hills and ridges, especially if they hold acorns... That's where most small game like to stalk squirrel... I'm in the pines usually... When I'm in heavily pressured public.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:32 am

ompaathao wrote:Don't worry about it BH.. I'm not a fan of squirrel hunters either... Early season I try to stay away from the hills and ridges, especially if they hold acorns... That's where most small game like to stalk squirrel... I'm in the pines usually... When I'm in heavily pressured public.

no worries man 8-)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:33 am

BigHunt wrote:

Hmong are an Asian ethnic group from the mountainous regions of china veitenam or Thailand.......

I see, thanks for the info. We have amish but no Hmong that I know of. Never would have thought an asian would squirrel hunt.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:41 am

Southern Man wrote:
BigHunt wrote:

I see, thanks for the info. We have but no Hmong that I know of. Never would have thought an asian would squirrel hunt.

You'll be surprised how good some if these guys are... Making their own calls using leaves or plastic bags., the squirrel literally come out running towards them

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:57 pm

I've met a few of them in my local public area, I usually stop and talk to them, seem like decent folks. I believe in there native land they had a strong connection to hunting/gathering. In there DNA........in my DNA too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:I've met a few of them in my local public area, I usually stop and talk to them, seem like decent folks. I believe in there native land they had a strong connection to hunting/gathering. In there DNA........in my DNA too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

x2
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:02 pm

I have ran into this a few times myself, I just moved on but that was back when I believed in pixie dust too, so I just gave up on that spot, I should go back in. Hmong hunters are very good squirrel hunters from what I have seen, probably the best in the woods, they always get a bunch of them. Over by my place they also do a lot of fishing in the Spring and summer, and they usually always limit out doing that as well. Not sure what they do different but whatever it is it works.
BuckHunter1988

Unread postby BuckHunter1988 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:14 pm

I hate small game hunters here in pennsylvania. I bet 1 out of every 3 that I have seen carries a slug in their pocket just in case. Last year my cousin caught 4 diff guys on his property small game hunting and when the wardens showed up they got into trouble for havin pumpkin balls in their pockets. I usually hunt places completely off the grid while small game and turkey are in so I dont have to deal with this situation.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”