wind tunnel questions please

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

wind tunnel questions please

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:01 am

Have two thoughts I would like to read discussion on if yall dont mind.

1. How should a milkweed seed react if the seed is tossed exactly where the thermal and prevailing wind meet?

2. Regarding the 1/3rd down from top to be close to the wind tunnel. I realize that the 1/3rd rule is basically a starting point to help you get close while scouting. However, does the steepness of the ridge determine where the wind tunnel is as well as the wind's speed?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: wind tunnel questions please

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:21 am

1. How should a milkweed seed react if the seed is tossed exactly where the thermal and prevailing wind meet?

From my experience it varys... sometimes it swirls in circles, sometimes it shoots into the primary wind and takes off, and sometimes it gets erratic... You drop a bunch and you will likely get different flight paths with each, which indicates your scent is going all over too..

2. Regarding the 1/3rd down from top to be close to the wind tunnel. I realize that the 1/3rd rule is basically a starting point to help you get close while scouting. However, does the steepness of the ridge determine where the wind tunnel is as well as the wind's speed?

Yes... The spot is usually where the gradual slope suddenly drops rapidly. There is not always a "sudden" drop, but where steepness changes sharp is usually the spot.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:34 am

When your scent is in the tunnel....have you ever noticed it may simply linger in one spot and not move? I was in a non-:hunting situation playing with the thermal/wind tunnel. I actually tossed some seeds up that literally suspended about 7 feet off the ground...then a few seconds later they'd. Blow in some direction but not in the same direction as the last seed.

So this happened to be on a point that has a heavily used vertical trail coming up from the bottom of a draw basically straight up the point. If I were planning on hunting a trail like this during the rut in the morning when thermals are rising should I be above this wind tunnel?

Would/could the tunnel move up or down the hillside depending on wind speed?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:45 am

Every situation is different. In some cases wind speed can change the area the wind meets the air current... I would most likely hunt high, and above well into the natural wind.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:15 am

Gotcha, thanks.

Man I tell you what....it's interesting all the simple things a hunter like myself can learn to better my game!!!!

patman

Unread postby patman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:51 pm

The places I have had my best wind tunnel is on a steep hill side on a sunny day. It may take a few hunts to figure out thermals I check with milkweed all though the hunt and you can see how the sun, time of day and obstructions like a down fall or a change in contour can effect your sent stream.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”