Taking down your setup?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

adrenalin
500 Club

Re: Taking down your setup?

Unread postby adrenalin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:04 am

Dor wrote:Lower bow. Unhook stand. Chuck it. Climb down.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Dude, you just chuck your stand from 20ft up??? I wouldn't trust it very long with that kind of abuse, but thats just me I guess...

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:14 am

adrenalin wrote:
Dor wrote:Lower bow. Unhook stand. Chuck it. Climb down.

Dude, you just chuck your stand from 20ft up??? I wouldn't trust it very long with that kind of abuse, but thats just me I guess...

X2 I was thinking the same thing....

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:57 pm

Lw stands can take chuckin..
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:00 pm

Zap wrote:Lw stands can take chuckin..

Maybe so but I guess I would rather lower it to the ground or throw it on my back+? Whatever works I guess!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Arki

Unread postby Arki » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Some what of the way I do it. Put the sticks on my back and pull up stand,bow,pack with the hook. Lower bow and stand with the hook and start tossing sticks at the third stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cFvpF_F ... ure=relmfu
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Here is how I do it, and it works slick and is quiet too. So it just became the end of shooting hours and its ready to leave. I pack up all my binocs and rangefinder etc and put in pack, or wolfpack (depending on what stand I have). Then I put that pack on which has a retractable tether on it for the bow, I lower it down to the ground. Then I undo the camera arm and pack it up and put it in a camo bag my wife made me, and I attach my second rope to it, and lower it down. Then I climb down, unhook both the bow and camera arm. Then I climb back up (always using linemens belt, I could not be as fast or quiet with out it). I clip the rope to the stand, unhook it, and lower it to the ground. Then I climb down to where I can take off my top stick, I undo it, take the slack out of the strap and sling it over my shoulder with the LW carrying strap I bought. Then I climb down and take off the 3rd stick and do the same, except now I have my nylon strap with the buckle on it, so I stack the two stick, clip the strap together and pull tight, back over the shoulder. Then I climb down to the 2nd stick, take it off, lower it to the ground by the strap, might have to climb down a little to do it though. Then I climb down to the ground and pack up the 3rd strap and stack it on the other two, then take off the 4th and pack it. Then I do the stand, then put the sticks on and bungee them. Then I would put the camera arm bag on and bungee it too but not I have taken to carrying it separate, its just easier that way for me.

Then out comes the flashlight and away I go, it takes me about 15 minutes to pack up, and I am taking my time and being silent too although making some noise, not possible to do in the dark without some noise I don't think.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Public Land Beast wrote:

Maybe so but I guess I would rather lower it to the ground or throw it on my back+? Whatever works I guess!!

Why is it ok to drop the sticks and not the stand?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:Here is how I do it, and it works slick and is quiet too. So it just became the end of shooting hours and its ready to leave. I pack up all my binocs and rangefinder etc and put in pack, or wolfpack (depending on what stand I have). Then I put that pack on which has a retractable tether on it for the bow, I lower it down to the ground. Then I undo the camera arm and pack it up and put it in a camo bag my wife made me, and I attach my second rope to it, and lower it down. Then I climb down, unhook both the bow and camera arm. Then I climb back up (always using linemens belt, I could not be as fast or quiet with out it). I clip the rope to the stand, unhook it, and lower it to the ground. Then I climb down to where I can take off my top stick, I undo it, take the slack out of the strap and sling it over my shoulder with the LW carrying strap I bought. Then I climb down and take off the 3rd stick and do the same, except now I have my nylon strap with the buckle on it, so I stack the two stick, clip the strap together and pull tight, back over the shoulder. Then I climb down to the 2nd stick, take it off, lower it to the ground by the strap, might have to climb down a little to do it though. Then I climb down to the ground and pack up the 3rd strap and stack it on the other two, then take off the 4th and pack it. Then I do the stand, then put the sticks on and bungee them. Then I would put the camera arm bag on and bungee it too but not I have taken to carrying it separate, its just easier that way for me.

Then out comes the flashlight and away I go, it takes me about 15 minutes to pack up, and I am taking my time and being silent too although making some noise, not possible to do in the dark without some noise I don't think.

We need a video..... 8-)
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:54 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3clPFGAwB3s

Do this in reverse except before I take down the top stick I hook a rope to the stand (the one I used before on the camera arm) and lower it down. Also, as I said before, once the top and second from the top stick is off the tree and strapped together, when I take off the bottom two I put them together at the base of the tree since I am only like 8 foot high at that point, not worth the time and balance to do in the tree when I am so close to the ground.

For the record I climb the same as this guy, its the easiest way I have found, and quietest for me because I am not straining myself.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:44 pm

I hunt high at least 6 sticks so when I know that I need to take it down quietly I use extension straps on the sticks, much easier to let them down quietly. Lower bow, drop the bow rope. Step onto to stick. Take stand off hook, throw it on my back. Take strap and hook off tree, put it in my breast pocket. Unhook harness, stuff excess in side pocket. Climb down to second stick from top, unhook top stick, climb down to next stick and using the extension strap lower the top stick as far as I can and drop it while flinging the strap away from the stick so that the buckle doesn't contact the stick. After the first couple sticks with the extension straps it'll reach and I can just lay them down gently.

I hunt very close to the bedding so even if I'm done for the season, I'm still trying to impact the area as little as I can. Even though I only hunt public land, it really is possible to find buck sanctuaries, but then it takes care to keep them that way.
adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:36 am

I chuck my bow, it's a Mathews :lol:
Missionman

Unread postby Missionman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:41 am

I climb down with my bow, climb up to last stick and unhook my stand. I hold onto my stand then I take off the last stick. Climb down and grab the second last stick and the first, then I hook them onto my stand and leave.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 am

Been chucking for 20 years! :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:06 am

adrenalin wrote:

I chuck my bow, it's a Mathews :lol:

LOL.
Hey wait a minute - I have a Matthews - dirty Rat :lol:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:12 am

I just drop the stand as well... If I plan on coming back I just leave the stand in the tree and grab one of my other 4 wolf sets :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”