Wisconsin program's open hunting land tough to find

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dabowhunter

Wisconsin program's open hunting land tough to find

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:00 am

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/watchd ... 14196.html

Interesting article in Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about Wisconsin's managed forest land program and how most of the properties are either unaccesible or the public is unaware. I thought there was a listing on the DNRs web site. Maybe I am thinking of another program?
Last edited by Dabowhunter on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Re: Wisconsin program's open hunting land tough to find

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:05 am

It's not hard to find, IF people want to do a little work.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:11 am

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

Been researching a lot of these lands for years and found quite a few that were landlocked and inaccesible. Had one landowner trying to deny access but one quick call to the DNR and he was set straight. I'm sure just like anything else there are plenty of landowners abusing the program just to save on taxes. They need to be turned in so their tax benefits are revoked.
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:18 am

Dewey wrote:Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

Been researching a lot of these lands for years and found quite a few that were landlocked and inaccesible. Had one landowner trying to deny access but one quick call to the DNR and he was set straight. I'm sure just like anything else there are plenty of landowners abusing the program just to save on taxes. They need to be turned in so their tax benefits are revoked.

Definitely agree, the landowners that abuse this need to be turned in.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:28 am

Dewey wrote:Interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

i gave up even dealing with it. ill stick to my public land and limited private. i called the DNR on one landowner and his land was removed for denying access. other pieces of land had trailcams and stands in every other tree. IMO its not worth hunting alot of them because the landowners dont want you there and make you feel very unwelcome.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:34 am

I know of a few in Buffalo county that get hunted pretty hard. Funny though, cause the landowner could probable make more money leasing to private individuals than mfl and have less hassles and more control. You would think the state would require reasonable access to be in the program. After all the reason they are getting the bigger tax break is for making it open to public.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:10 am

Thanks for posting this. I now have several new spots to check out closer than driving to public!
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:16 am

Dabowhunter

there is another new program call VPA (Voluntary Public Access), here is the link to check out.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/VPA/index.html

I never tried to access this type of land yet but it seems more clear with maps and access points versus the MFL stuff.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:19 am

I do not want them to be accessible, I want people to have to work to find it. I know of some spots that very few people are aware of because it takes some work to find and confirm these spots. I too have seen a lot that are landlocked, they have to have an access to spot so I may have to start reporting these. I have also seen a lot of these that are posted, they really do not want people in there. Always have a map and be sure your on the right land, but if your sure a quick phone call to the warden should solve most confrontations.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”