In Season Scouting..Bump him or sit?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chasman

In Season Scouting..Bump him or sit?

Unread postby Chasman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:18 pm

I failed to get much scouting done over off season. Is it worth it to look at some maps, identify some potenial buck locations then set up as close as I can and see what happens. Or push in, take a look and see what is there with the possibility of bumping the buck?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: In Season Scouting..Bump him or sit?

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:44 pm

If it were me, I would get as close to assumed bedding as possible and give it a sit. If you get no action, on to the next spot.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Thanks Dan. I will still try and do some heavier scouting, and pushing in closer when days are right. High winds, rain. Otherwise my plan is to observe other hunter locations, clue in on possible bedding areas and sit them. I don't have much to lose.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:02 am

Well had two spots on same property. Primary spot trees from ariel photo were too damn big to get sticks or anything around. I will go back but with ground blind. So I backed out and went to second spot. Seen some movement and brown coming and when I could finally see what it was. A doe and yearly. And they were pretty touching. So this public may get more attention than I thought.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:41 am

Potential bedding spots aren't validating enough for me to commit to a sit and burn the area. I would take a more passive approach, set up an observation stand to confirm. Then I would move in for the kill. I am more of a low impact hunter, less aggressive than most. If you have plenty of hunting spots then you can afford to be aggressive and burn the spot. This is also part of the equation. It never hurts to evaluate different opinions. Good luck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:44 am

Stanley wrote:Potential bedding spots aren't validating enough for me to commit to a sit and burn the area. I would take a more passive approach, set up an observation stand to confirm. Then I would move in for the kill. I am more of a low impact hunter, less aggressive than most. If you have plenty of hunting spots then you can afford to be aggressive and burn the spot. This is also part of the equation. It never hurts to evaluate different opinions. Good luck.

Good post. I'm an inbetweener myself...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:08 am

I am also looking for potential cruising areas come rut also. So if I burn spot now. Probably won't sit for another month. I give a spot 2 hunts depending on what I saw then move on

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:59 pm

I thought I would give the area I power scouted and sat on night one more try. One car in lot, not to worried I was going back pretty far. The guy was shooting a 22 pretty often. Don't know what he was shooting.. Put me in a downer with all the shooting up front. Well long story, no deer sightings in tree, but as soon as I got about 50 yards out of my tree skirting the woodlot leading to parking area and in the direction of shooting. A couple deer bounded out of woodlot. To dark to see what they were, but could tell there was some weight to them. I tend to give to much confidence to areas that are marginal.

What is a good criteria to follow and when to know when to move on. What is your guidelines?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:27 am

What is a good criteria to follow and when to know when to move on. What is your guidelines?

Im always moving unless I am aware of a big buck in the area.And even then Im usually not hunting the same spots over and over.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”