farm country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Little Hunt

farm country

Unread postby Little Hunt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:38 am

would cutting a corn field change bedding preffrence not due to food resources but security cover. (bedding in woods near corn)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: farm country

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:54 am

Like you said he will still use the field as a food surce. You probably won't see the big guy in the open field during daylight, but he will still bed with that as a destination food source. Just need to know where he is bedding, and get close to it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:40 am

Cutting a corn field can disrupt some buck bedding near the field.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:32 am

A standing corn field is cover and food. A picked corn field reduces cover and is more of a food source. Normally things change after the corn is harvested. A small wood lot is no longer secluded. End timbers that were surrounded by corn become less appealing for bucks to hold up in. Timber edges with adjacent corn fields have nice corridors for deer to travel in (also great places to set up a trail camera or a tree stand). when the corn is picked this is no longer the case. So I say there is an impact of some kind anytime a corn field is picked where you are hunting.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DMiller6868

Unread postby DMiller6868 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:11 am

It's possible to change his bedding location but in farm county I find it may be to his advantage.

Now he can bed with the wind at his back while staring into the woods or into the field. He can now see for hundreds of yards if something is approaching from the field.

I've always noticed bucks bed on transition areas from field to woods usually on the outside corners.

I also rarely have encountered mature bucks 4.5+ bedding in corn fields consistently. Maybe during the rut with a hot doe. I've seen them leave the corn in the morning after hanging in it all night eating and chasing does to go back to a regular day bed.
Little Hunt

Unread postby Little Hunt » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks for the opinions guys!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”