google earth or other satelite imagery

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

google earth or other satelite imagery

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:52 am

any of them give a view during winter months. I tried the slide bar on google earth but the timeline is always during green months. would be cool to see the deer trails in the snow to help scout from home a little.

ozzz

Re: google earth or other satelite imagery

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:57 am

Some areas of Bing birds eye have leaves off trees, check that out.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:12 am

Also try your local online county GIS map server. If you don' t know anything about that let me know. It's what I do for a living.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:50 am

Yep Bing has spring pics with no leaves in my area, pretty cool.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:55 am

Another vote for Bing's "bird's eye view". You can even view it from different angles to capture the shadows differently.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:25 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:any of them give a view during winter months. I tried the slide bar on google earth but the timeline is always during green months. would be cool to see the deer trails in the snow to help scout from home a little.

I have never found a site that offers pics with snow on the ground. Just with the leaves off.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
bpaulson

Unread postby bpaulson » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:29 am

BJE80 wrote:Also try your local online county GIS map server. If you don' t know anything about that let me know. It's what I do for a living.

I love using that feature! For those that don't know its basically an online plat book but I love the fact that you can also add satellite imagery to see the exact line of certain properties.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:40 am

bpaulson wrote:
BJE80 wrote:Also try your local online county GIS map server. If you don' t know anything about that let me know. It's what I do for a living.

I love using that feature! For those that don't know its basically an online plat book but I love the fact that you can also add satellite imagery to see the exact line of certain properties.

They certainly are great. You are lucky in Wisconsin to have most (all) of your state covered. Most states I check have many counties that do not have them (or no counties). We don't have a lot here.... yet.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:20 am

bpaulson wrote:

Link?? :? Thanks!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:33 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
bpaulson wrote:

Link?? :? Thanks!

http://coastal.lic.wisc.edu/wisconsin-i ... in-ims.htm
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:56 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:
Bowhunting Brian wrote:any of them give a view during winter months. I tried the slide bar on google earth but the timeline is always during green months. would be cool to see the deer trails in the snow to help scout from home a little.

I have never found a site that offers pics with snow on the ground. Just with the leaves off.

I agree with this. I also think that sometimes no snow is better. I'm not sure you could see trails in the snow with satellite imaging, but I do know that trails in grass and/or cattails that are matted down from the melted snow show up well. Winter pics are nice because you can tell what types of trees you're looking at, instead of all green.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”