When using trail cameras.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jonsimoneau
500 Club

When using trail cameras.....

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:46 am

Like many of you guys I like using trail cameras. One thing that has really surprised me though is the number of guys who dont do this simple thing that will help you get more pics. This works like a charm. Anytime I put a camera out I rake out the ground in front of the camera about the size of your car hood. I think I first learned this from Bobby Worthington. You don't even need to put scent in it. Just pick up a stick and really tear up the ground in front of the camera. Believe me any deer cruising through the area will walk over and check it out and you always end up with a great pic. I know this is nothing new, but it only takes a minute to do it and it makes a difference. I usually try to use a big long stick from a distance to minimize scent. Then I carry the stick out with me. Its kind of a mock scrape. The deer will not come to it on purpose but they will come and investigate it when moving through an area.
The same thing works wonders when you are in a stand. Rip up the ground in front of your stand...from a distance, and any deer moving through will stop to investigate it giving you a close standing shot. Works for me!

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: When using trail cameras.....

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:53 am

jonsimoneau wrote: I know this is nothing new, but it only takes a minute to do it and it makes a difference. I usually try to use a big long stick from a distance to minimize scent. Then I carry the stick out with me. Its kind of a mock scrape. The deer will not come to it on purpose but they will come and investigate it when moving through an area.
The same thing works wonders when you are in a stand. Rip up the ground in front of your stand...from a distance, and any deer moving through will stop to investigate it giving you a close standing shot. Works for me!

New news to me, thanks for the tip :mrgreen:
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:54 am

Great info.
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:18 am

Trust me it works great. Of course here in Illinois we are not allowed to use bait or anything even outside of season. Getting deer on camera can be a little tougher if you don't have a food attractant to stop them. But once I started doing this my number of good pictures went up dramatically. It also helps compensate for cameras with slow trigger speeds. I try to avoid cameras with a trigger speed much less than one second, but if you use this simple tip the trigger speed matters little.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:07 am

ill try that... thanks!

also get to see tracks in the dirt possibly... a BIG track gets me REALLY excited!
You can't kill em on the couch
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:32 am

Never did it with the camera but I do it all the time by my stand. I was told by an oldtimer few years back. He killed a lot of bucks. Not neccessarily the largest bucks but he was consistant. It was more for the shot position. Curiostity kills the whitetail!!!
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:46 am

Good tip...however you have to keep in mind, if your trying to hide your trail camera from people or the deer themselves its probably not the best idea.

Usually when I put out a camera I don't want ANYONE knowing its there and I want the deer to be oblivious as well..
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:54 am

Deer always seem to be attracted to freshly disturbed dirt and you can use this to start a mock scrape without using scents.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”