Few Questions and looking for advice on going in blind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BJE80

Few Questions and looking for advice on going in blind

Unread postby BJE80 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:45 am

I electronically scouted this property and picked out this spot that I'm thinking about going in blind for an evening sit Thursday after noon when a west wind is predicted. I have my land up north but it would be great to get some meat in the freezer down here in SE Wisconsin so I can leave my does alone up there.

I want to qualify that I would shoot just about anything on this property for meat. But a buck showing up would be cool as well. Shooting a buck is always on the mind but I have no expectations because I don't know where they bed for sure.

One issue I see is I'd be hunting so close to the edge of the property boarder. To the north of the red line is all private property. But I would think the deer if shot would run back into the cattails. Do you guys hunt that close to the boarders when you hunt public?

What do you guys think?

Yellow is planned access route.
Red is public property boarder.
West Wind
Light Blue is the anticipated deer travel route. Are those lines in the cattails deer travel or water running?

I've spotted plenty of deer in the fields on private land from the road doing drive bys.

Based on what I've seen and talked with other hunters in the area I don't think anyone bowhunts back there. I think they all bow hunt in the big woods part of this public. This is kind of a pain to get to so I feel it has that going for it.

I know this site is more about getting on mature bucks but some help with regard to if I am using the right thought process to just get on deer here is appreciated.

Edit: Or a better way of asking. Does it appear I'm wasting my time here or does this look like it has potential?

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Few Questions and looking for advice on going in blind

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:26 am

It's never a waste. you created a plan and put some thought into it. I say go for it. your not going to your land right now anyway, so what a better way to learn some new land. you have nothing to lose but some time spent in the woods. let us know how it works when you get back.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:43 am

I agree with Brian- get in there and learn! Here is your pic with some additions for consideration.

The red oval is where I believe there is a great chance for deer to be bedded... they expect you to approach from the road where your yellow line is, and coyotes and other predators will use that approach many times as well. Bedded at the red oval would allow a west wind to protect them from the high ground side, while the marsh would protect them downwind. From that position the deer have multiple escape routes. As the deer move north toward the private land and potential food sources expect them to hold to the downwind side of the point for protection. Using boots / hip boots / waders I would approach my stand through the marsh where the orange line is and set up at the orange oval to intercept this downwind edge movement by the deer.

If you decide to hunt the spot you marked I would use a different approach- the older deer on the point / peninsula expect you to use the yellow line that you drew and may intercept your scent and blow the hunt. It is the easiest way to get to your intended spot, afterall and they have most likely encountered other predators doing exactly that. Instead, If I had to approach from the road I would stick to your red boundary line and cut directly across that point to hunt the potential beds you are interested in. At least it may take other deer using the point a while longer to bust your scent trail and potentially ruin the hunt. Cutting across a land mass near your intended stand site is seldom a good idea in heavily pressured areas.

mah two pennies
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:54 am

Singing Bridge wrote:Image

I agree with Brian- get in there and learn! Here is your pic with some additions for consideration.

The red oval is where I believe there is a great chance for deer to be bedded... they expect you to approach from the road where your yellow line is, and coyotes and other predators will use that approach many times as well. Bedded at the red oval would allow a west wind to protect them from the high ground side, while the marsh would protect them downwind. From that position the deer have multiple escape routes. As the deer move north toward the private land and potential food sources expect them to hold to the downwind side of the point for protection. Using boots / hip boots / waders I would approach my stand through the marsh where the orange line is and set up at the orange oval to intercept this downwind edge movement by the deer.

If you decide to hunt the spot you marked I would use a different approach- the older deer on the point / peninsula expect you to use the yellow line that you drew and may intercept your scent and blow the hunt. It is the easiest way to get to your intended spot, afterall and they have most likely encountered other predators doing exactly that. Instead, If I had to approach from the road I would stick to your red boundary line and cut directly across that point to hunt the potential beds you are interested in. At least it may take other deer using the point a while longer to bust your scent trail and potentially ruin the hunt. Cutting across a land mass near your intended stand site is seldom a good idea in heavily pressured areas.

mah two pennies

Thanks for the advice. For some reason I do not see your picture?
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:42 am

I see the picture now. Thanks.

So that bedding spot might be a good morning area also I would think. But I can't really hunt mornings down here too much.

When I go on Wednesday I am going to give this a try and see what happens.
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:44 am

going in blind is tough, i find myself burning a "hunting" day to scout nowadays... where as before I would set an "observation" type stand...

If i new a buck was in the area and i HAD to go in blind Id hunt the freshest sign I could find when I walked to the area...

it can be done, im just not good at it. :D
You can't kill em on the couch
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:45 am

BJE80 wrote:I see the picture now. Thanks.

So that bedding spot might be a good morning area also I would think. But I can't really hunt mornings down here too much.

I approached this recommendation from a deer in "general" standpoint, as you had mentioned. If someone else isn't messing the place up, that approach and stand site in orange will be lethal to deer movement with a west wind. Very low impact, and the general movement of the deer should not be near your approach trail. It will also serve as a good observation stand to see what the area holds for deer movement if you so desire.
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:48 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
BJE80 wrote:I see the picture now. Thanks.

I approached this recommendation from a deer in "general" standpoint, as you had mentioned. If someone else isn't messing the place up, that approach and stand site in orange will be lethal to deer movement with a west wind. Very low impact, and the general movement of the deer should not be near your approach trail. It will also serve as a good observation stand to see what the area holds for deer movement if you so desire.

Do you think I should set up looking west and try and get as far east as I can up in a tree on the edge being concerned about the deer sneaking behind me? Or should I try and set up looking SE from more in the woods and more cover around me and hope to shoot the deer before they get downwind of me?
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Once you approach that edge and get a visual, the availability of a tree for a stand may make that decision for you. I would set up in the first good tree that let's you cover that transition line from marsh to high ground. They normally hold pretty tight to that edge.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”