Do you process your own deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

Re: Do you process your own deer?

Unread postby Brad » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:10 am

I have never paid to have a deer cut up, I have done every deer I have ever shot plus hundreds of others with family and friends. I enjoy it, its part of the hunt plus I like seeing the anatomy etc and how different hits do different things etc. It helps with recovering future deer. Dad and I solve all the worlds problems over a deer cutting and relive old hunts and stories. I do take them in for veni brats but not until well after the season, but I feel guilty even doing that, I need to invest in a sausage stuffer. We have a band saw, electric meat grinder and about 300 bucks worth of Mundahl knives, maybe 600 in all of it. Two deer at a processing plant covers your investment and then your money ahead.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image

Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:45 am

I typically have it done. Although I have done many myself over the years and still do one of mine and assist with friends deer every year. The expense isn't terrible and it is a time saver for me.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:48 am

I've only had 2 processed, We've done them all on our own, it's a family affair. I never did like the way slaughter houses cut them up. I de-bone all of it and cut most all fat and tallow out.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:06 am

i butcher some of my own deer from time to time but when im in the middle of my vacation and i have tags left im not stopping hunting to butcher deer. that being said when im upnorth i dont have anywhere to do it even if i wanted to. so it does get costly for me. this year will most likely be basic butchering not all the extras(if im lucky enough to kill deer). i have been out of meat now for at least 3 months maybe longer and i need some venison............
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:27 am

In my group we have a grinding party in janruary. Everyone separates into groups and we do one persons meat at a time. First round is grinding and then depending on what seasonings you want or just bulk hamburger. After hamburger is done we try different sausage mixes. It works out really well with a big group and everyone has a job. Makes it a quick process.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:29 am

I do my own with my wife and kids. It's a family project... After I check it in, I bring it home and weather permitting, hang it for 3 days. Then I quarter it and put it in the fridge at a controlled temp of 35F until I have the time to process it. Usually we do two quarters at a time.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:39 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I guess I should have stated...... I do cut up my own deer, but then I take that into the meat locker plant & have them make mostly sausage & ring bologna. But ya, I do cut up the tenderloins for frying up in a pan, but the rest I haul to the plant.

Does anybody know what it cost to have a meat locker do the whole process on a deer? I'm talking from skinning it, cutting it up, & making sausage? Is $300 a ballpark number?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

No way dude. Around me the more expensive butcher is $90, thats steaks, chops, ground meat and stew meat. The steaks are not deboned though, the hams are just put on a band saw and sliced, sausage is $15 extra. The other guy across the country is only $75 or $80 for the same thing. The deer has to be gutted before arrival. I wouldn't think it would be much more for you in the mid west. But I could be wrong.

There is a processing plant one county north of me that does strictly things like, balogna, salami, cheese salami, hot dogs, supresatta, smoked back strap. I believe all of that stuff is only around $3 per pound.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:52 am

GRFox wrote:No way dude. Around me the more expensive butcher is $90, thats steaks, chops, ground meat and stew meat. The steaks are not deboned though, the hams are just put on a band saw and sliced, sausage is $15 extra. The other guy across the country is only $75 or $80 for the same thing. The deer has to be gutted before arrival. I wouldn't think it would be much more for you in the mid west. But I could be wrong.

There is a processing plant one county north of me that does strictly things like, balogna, salami, cheese salami, hot dogs, supresatta, smoked back strap. I believe all of that stuff is only around $3 per pound.

Yes, but how do you know it's YOUR deer you are getting back? I use to have mine done. Then one year "mine" came back oozing with blood. I knew it wasn't mine, and from then on I've been doing my own.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:30 am

NatureBoy wrote:
GRFox wrote:No way dude. Around me the more expensive butcher is $90, thats steaks, chops, ground meat and stew meat. The steaks are not deboned though, the hams are just put on a band saw and sliced, sausage is $15 extra. The other guy across the country is only $75 or $80 for the same thing. The deer has to be gutted before arrival. I wouldn't think it would be much more for you in the mid west. But I could be wrong.

Yes, but how do you know it's YOUR deer you are getting back? I use to have mine done. Then one year "mine" came back oozing with blood. I knew it wasn't mine, and from then on I've been doing my own.

I also cut up my own deer. I was just listing prices. At the butcher you are with out question getting your own deer. I know the people, and in NY your tag has to stay with your deer until its in your freezer, weather its cut into steaks or ground meat, your tag and paperwork stay with it.

As far as the processorr I dont know. You supposedly do get your own deer. But i couldnt be sure.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:58 am

Most of the processors around here do big batches and mix in more than one persons meat. They do not break down and clean the equipment between each deer, it's just too time consuming. The place I take mine inspects the meat you bring in and if it smells bad, has hair or otherwise looks unfit they will reject it.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:46 am

Around here you don't get your own meat back, they flat out tell you that. I don't want someone elses deer that rode in the buck of some guys truck for 4 days in 45 degree weather, I have utmost quality control on mine, I cut off the fat, sinew, blood clots etc and only keep clean meat. It takes us about 4 hours to do a deer, we don't do it during the day, we do it at night down in the garage when done hunting. Also, if you have a pickup truck you have space to do it unless its bitter cold out, they don't even have to be hung although it does help.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:06 am

We cut our deer up. We cut the steaks and roast out and save the trimming until spring and then take them to the butcher to get sausage made. This way we know we are eating only our deer that were prepared correctly.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:08 am

yes i do it all. very easy, backstraps usually get ate while the deer is still hanging.

save the meat from the quarters and make burger later on.
You can't kill em on the couch

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”