tonights hunt... Storm front bucks.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: tonights hunt... Storm front bucks.

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:
dan wrote:
G3s wrote:That is a bummer Dan, sorry to hear of your misfortune...[glow=red]I do appreciate you posting this up and educating.[/glow] Some things seem to be forgotten from one season to the next and this is a great refresher

I know a lot of so called Pro's keep it a big shameful secret when they get a bad hit... Yea it sucks, and yea, you hate to say it after wounding one last year, but I shoot a lot of deer and occasionally things are going to happen. We put ourselfs in a situation by choosing to hunt with limited equipment.
Personally I dread putting it on the forum and expect to hear some negative comments, but if we hide this from everybody, we all miss out on some learning opertunities, me included.

Losing deer sucks, but it takes a bigger man to step up and say things happen. I have wounded deer, everyone has. I practice a ton and I still admit its tough when the target has fur, it adds a whole other dimension of excitement to the shot and breaks up the routines we try so hard to get into. I have seen hunting shows where they shoot one deer and substitute in another!!! This does nothing to help the sport. No one wants a bad hit, no one plans it, but its part of hunting.

On a side note, do you remember the size of the peep sight you tried Dan? I have been using a G5 meta peep sight that has a 1/4" peep hole and I am good with it to the end of legal shooting light and I have terrible low light vision with my glasses. I never could see anything with the little peeps they used to make, but the 1/4" one is pretty slick, might be worth a shot.

Yup, that is the peep I use as well! I use it in conjunction with a HHA 2" housing it it is perfect for low light shots. However, I also shoot with both eyes open as well. I believe using two eyes open is the best thing you can do in a low light situation.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:20 pm

Dan as usual, thanks for sharing. Your insights do help more people on here than I think you realize.

Regardless if the situation is a good one or bad one, there are things to be laerned for future references.
You are correct many hunters (not just the "pros") keep the painful truth of bowhunting a secret. Heck I am like you, it happens, and there is no need for me to keep it a dirty little secret.

I have learned so many things from trial and error. However research, reading and practicing prevention of things I know have haunted others, helps make me more aware of things more too.

Thanks again for sharing and I know there is no need to tell you because you have told so many others... saddle back up and get after another!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:25 pm

He went across several great bedding areas without ever bedding.
Sorry Dan. There's not much one can say here. Nothing we/I say Is going to make a guy/gal feel any better. I do think though that If It wouldn't of rained you would've found what appears to be a gut shot buck.
ah110

Unread postby ah110 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:33 pm

dan wrote:
ah110 wrote:Sorry to hear that. Terrible feeling overall. We all know how you feel.

Hate to say it but....RAGE broadheads...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Yea, maybe, maybe not, a little larger hole might of helped, might not of. Hitting them in the right spot is the key... I seriously doubt it would of helped, and wonder if it would of hurt me on the one I punched thru the shoulder blade from that stand 5 years ago, and then shot thru the skull when he looked back over the cattails.. Yea, I know you don't take skull shots, but once a deer is hit, I don't hold back any shot till its down...
I also wonder if the rage would of broke the spine like the two I hit high there.. Guess we will never know...
I do agree though, that if your aiming for the guts a bigger hole is better.

eh agree to disagree i guess.

your a phenomenal hunter and will be after another SLOB im sure

cant believe its only september 18th!!!
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:55 pm

To bad on that buck especially when he is in the 140's.
AC Rider
500 Club

Unread postby AC Rider » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Bad deal for ya Dan. You'll get on another one soon tho :D
Tadmdad
500 Club

Unread postby Tadmdad » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:14 pm

dan wrote:
Dewey wrote:Man that sucks! Sorry to hear about that.

Are done looking or still searching?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Done for now... I will still watch and listen, but at this point it would likely just be antler recovery, and with the amount of pressure in that area, likely someone else will find it.

Time to listen to the coyotes for a couple of nights. Some years ago, recovered a buck a buddy shot in NWO, by watching the ravens flying with pieces of meat, 4 days after the shot.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Matt3

Unread postby Matt3 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Hey Dan I am sorry to hear about the loss but sounds like a great hunt. Below is a link to united blood trackers for trackers in your state. May be beneficial to give one close to you a call. May be able to still find it. Those dogs are amazing.

http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/inde ... kers&st=wi

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Sorry to hear you lost him Dan.....like I said before, stuff happens. It's good to see you analyze what happened so others can be prepared in the future....thanks.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:49 pm

sorry to hear that dan....always sucks losing a nice deer
When better is possible, good is never good enough
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:00 am

I would highly encourage you to go to a large peep as well. There are big enough peeps that low light shouldn't be a problem. Shooting with a peep will also give you a more consistent anchor point. Also with really steep shots draw back level and then bend at the hips, a lot of people draw at the angle they shoot and it changes your anchor point. It sucks that you lost it, but I have a feeling that you will have another chance!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:05 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:
Brad Lamont wrote:
dan wrote:
G3s wrote:That is a bummer Dan, sorry to hear of your misfortune...[glow=red]I do appreciate you posting this up and educating.[/glow] Some things seem to be forgotten from one season to the next and this is a great refresher

I know a lot of so called Pro's keep it a big shameful secret when they get a bad hit... Yea it sucks, and yea, you hate to say it after wounding one last year, but I shoot a lot of deer and occasionally things are going to happen. We put ourselfs in a situation by choosing to hunt with limited equipment.
Personally I dread putting it on the forum and expect to hear some negative comments, but if we hide this from everybody, we all miss out on some learning opertunities, me included.

Losing deer sucks, but it takes a bigger man to step up and say things happen. I have wounded deer, everyone has. I practice a ton and I still admit its tough when the target has fur, it adds a whole other dimension of excitement to the shot and breaks up the routines we try so hard to get into. I have seen hunting shows where they shoot one deer and substitute in another!!! This does nothing to help the sport. No one wants a bad hit, no one plans it, but its part of hunting.

On a side note, do you remember the size of the peep sight you tried Dan? I have been using a G5 meta peep sight that has a 1/4" peep hole and I am good with it to the end of legal shooting light and I have terrible low light vision with my glasses. I never could see anything with the little peeps they used to make, but the 1/4" one is pretty slick, might be
worth a shot.

Yup, that is the peep I use as well! I use it in conjunction with a HHA 2" housing it it is perfect for low light shots. However, I also shoot with both eyes open as well. I believe using two eyes open is the best thing you can do in a low
light situation.

I have the same set up ^

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:17 am

I went peepless after years of bad shots with peeps... Not having a peep is not the problem, I shoot better without one. I have a consistent anchor, a kisser, and the string touches my nose and lines up with the pin. It don't work for everybody, but it works best for me. This buck was shot in low light, high winds, sitting (i usually stand) at a steep angle, and rushed... The issue had nothing to do with a peep.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:40 am

Two years in a row, you hate to see that happen to a good buck.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
SteveD

Unread postby SteveD » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:31 am

Dan,sorry about the bad experience ,but you have the balls and guts for posting this on your site.
Hope you find the rack at least,MOST of us have been down the "recovery road" before,as you mentioned
use as a learning guide/tool.Take care.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”