Buck chasing scenario

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

Buck chasing scenario

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:01 am

So what does everyone do when a large buck comes cruising in pushing a doe at a slow running pace? Ie 10-15 mph. Do you draw when you see the doe and hope she doesn't bust u or do u wait til the buck gets just past ur tree then draw and hope u can get him to stop in time? other ideas? I lost a mature buck because I stopped him too soon in is 2 years ago and I don't want to repeat that scenario. Thanks for your input

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

Crazinamatese

Re: Buck chasing scenario

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:12 pm

I would wait until the buck is in range and offers a good shot, then stop him. Be quick and precise and ready to release an arrow. The few times I witnessed, the buck is so fixated on the does, nothing else matters. But, if they are seriously close, be careful. In 2010 gun season I waited for a nice buck chasing does to get about 10 yards and when I decided to stop him, they all spooked and scattered in a blink of an eye. The buck stopped for a second to figure out what was going on, which gave that much time to put him down. It wouldn't have happened if I had a bow in hand.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”