"what if" scenario help advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

"what if" scenario help advice

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:14 am

If you had a hunch where a buck was bedding and planned perfect entrance route to check things out and came across some fresh buck beds, trees thrashed and no less than 5-10 mature oaks dropping acorns. Deer have been feeding hard and poop everywhere. Beds are very visible and fresh. You just spent 10 mins looking around a couple acres so scent is laid down. 24 hours later nearly 3 inches of rain has fallen.

Season begins in 6 days......if the wind on opening morning is favorable and you knew for sure you have an excellent entrance route....would you hunt it this soon after scouting it? Could all the rain cleared the scent left behind?
I know the deer are not coming in the woodlot until the break of dawn. The tree I would be in can shoot all the beds I found. So I feel I can beat them to the bedroom easily...the entrance route allows me an undetected entrance.

Here is my concern....this farm has so many small woodlots the deer can bed in.....IF I have not already stacked him somewhere else....I feel I will only get 1 crack at him before I have to relocate him again.

Any and all advice...suggestions,...thoughts are welcomed.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: "what if" scenario help advice

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:22 am

I would hunt it. Not much in hunting is a given. So we hunt on good hunches/intel with a good chance at success. Your situation is not perfect but is doable with the acorns as a known food source. I like your chances.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:22 am

As long as the acorns are dropping I would do it, get there SUPER early though. The rain probably washed most of the scent away, they may have known you were there though, but they may only be there because of the acorns so you probably have to strike while the irons hot.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:26 am

There is no way you can hunt it for an evening sit? If not then I would consider your morning plan. Either way, its worth a hunt.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:53 am

dan wrote:There is no way you can hunt it for an evening sit? If not then I would consider your morning plan. Either way, its worth a hunt.

I had given an evening hunt hard consideration. Especially with 22nd being an evening moon day... my problem is this particular woodlot is where the bucks are bedding. I have watched them both enter just at dawn and exit at dusk. The area of the woodlot doesn't offer me anywhere I can ambush them on entrance or exit.

The bedding area itself is maybe a total of 4 acres.

There are 3 different deer entrance/exit areas but I have only viewed the bucks using one route in and out during daylight (early am...and just at dark.)

I wouldn't mind if I got pinned down and have to sit the entire day on stand....but with the cold fronts late this week and this weekend...I worry about wind change and giving up my location and ruining the spot.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:59 am

Especially with 22nd being an evening moon day..

I don't have my moon chart in front of me, but according to my notes the 22nd of September is a good morning day...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:01 am

Brad/Stanley

I was thinking the same as u guys on the food source. With the amount of acorns chewed on the ground and scat everywhere with multiple beds....

last time I seen the bucks go in was on the 14th at 655 am
I'm thinking 2 hours prior on stand should have everything calm as normal for the deer.
Ideally I would really like for the bucks to come in their bedroom bed down within range and catch a Muzzy at legal light. That is a Beastly dream of mine

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:03 am

dan wrote:
Especially with 22nd being an evening moon day..

I don't have my moon chart in front of me, but according to my notes the 22nd of September is a good morning day...

Even better for this scenario....I could maybe watch them enter and be ready to draw!
Its odd for me to see bucks still in bachelor groups here
Three bucks still together on the 14th

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”