A lot of good bucks will die...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jeff Sturgis

A lot of good bucks will die...

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:22 am

This coming week's forecast is showing some outstanding temperature drops! I hunt cold fronts. What I have experienced for decades is that cool temps during poor hunting conditions (moon phase, time of season, moderate winds) still equals a great hunt. On the otherhand the best of those conditions coupled with hot weather equals a bad hunt.

This week I get very excited when I see highs in the 50s and 60s popping up...along with lows in the 30s. I can honestly say that while I haven't checked to see what the moon is doing...boy, I have been watching that cold front several times a day. I have some sits planned out for various winds inthe coming days and I am not saying I am going to kill something personally...who knows, but what I am saying is that guys who are in the woods this week are going to experience a high degree of success!

Man I can't wait...getting really pumped!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Image My NEW BOOK can be purchased at http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/?page_id=343...Please check it out and I hope that you enjoy my website too!
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: A lot of good bucks will die...

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:15 am

I know if you get close enough to the bed you can have success despite the weather, but I have to agree I have had an unbelievably higher success rate during cold fronts. I also noticed that weather coming up and am quite excited!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:20 am

I think cold fronts are a real contributing factor to a sharp rise in deer movement. I know it has been in my experience.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:24 am

I have high hopes for my first two hunts of the year mon and tues. Just past a new moon, which is today I think.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:16 am

Stanley wrote:I think cold fronts are a real contributing factor to a sharp rise in deer movement. I know it has been in my experience.

I've even gone to the extreme of driving 7 hours 1 way to hunt an evening and a morning to catch a cold front. Over the past several years I've gotten it down to roughly 5-6 sits for mature buck opportunity, and attribute that pretty much to hunting cold fronts, while ignoring the rest. Kind of takes a lot of guess work out of the equation...

Image My NEW BOOK can be purchased at http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/?page_id=343...Please check it out and I hope that you enjoy my website too!
jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:26 am

Well for an update...that huge front went through and it was 25 degrees colder Monday afternoon, compared to Sunday at the same time. I sat in a North wind stand and had an incredible hunt! The deer were feeding early, and heavily. I saw 9 bucks including a 4 year old, 3 year old, 3 two year olds, and yearlings. I was able to pass on the 3 year old twice, and then right before dark the 4 year old stepped out:) He got my heart pounding...I got ready for the broadside shot, took a glance at him through the brush with the binos...and he was the goofy messed up 4 year old-dang it! He has 5 on 1 side...and then a long spike on the other with some base points. Close to 160 as matched...not so much now. GREAT buck for next year, and I would bet he had some type of injury. This is the first year we have seen a buck like that. Anyways, the 3 year old was at least 20" wide and a very cool buck for the future too. Great sit, great cold front...and I also be hitting the backside of a mini cold front tomorrow evening as well.

Good times...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:08 am

I am getting excited here too. Season opens here Sat and cooler temps associated with the cold front moving in as well. Took a vacation day for Monday. Low is going to be 41 high of 63. Very unseasonably for NE Tennessee this time of year.

Going to be hunting a bedroom Sat morning and a transition zone Sat evening. Plans from there dependant on weather and Saturdays outcome!

jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:37 am

I like that bedroom idea...I have a great stand for that I want to hit and have narrowed it down to a couple of good bucks hanging out there. Just need to be able to get in safely, might be worth the risk, just haven't hunted in the early season there before so I am worried about deer being there...before I get there. We will see...but these cold mornings have me thinking...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”