Any proof of mock scrapes working?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Any proof of mock scrapes working?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:10 am

Ive seen and heard many people talking about mock scrapes and how effective they can be. Does this really work? I bring it to consideration because Eberhardt talked about it one of his DVDs and he has some credential. Ive never tried it because I didnt think it would really accomplish anything. However I could be wrong.

Also how do you guys go about making one?

dirt nap giver

Re: Any proof of mock scrapes working?

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:33 pm

tried it a few times some years ago, nothing but negative results. More education for the deer in my opinion.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:55 pm

I do them on private for inventory. Couple of tricks that may pay off for you if you do try it.
First don't touch anything either buy a spray or make your own and use a spray bottle.
Second - try to find a barrier between the camera or mock scrape that way you are not leaving scent going to the camera. For instance I will put my camera across a tiny pond (5 yards wide) and have my mock scrape on the other side or put it higher in a tree at an angle
Third - only go get cards in the rain or the day you hunt ( again inventory only) that way your scent is not screwing things up

Hope this helps

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:48 am

Shot my best MI buck right after he worked my mock scrape. I used bucks unlimited synthetic forehead gland scent. I havent used that technique much since, but this year I made some more. When the deer are heavy into scraping, they will hit about anything that has a place to paw with a place to leave their own scent above it.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:06 am

kenn1320 wrote: I used bucks unlimited synthetic forehead gland scent.
Z7WIBoy wrote:I do them on private for inventory. Couple of tricks that may pay off for you if you do try it.
First don't touch anything either buy a spray or make your own and use a spray bottle.
Second - try to find a barrier between the camera or mock scrape that way you are not leaving scent going to the camera. For instance I will put my camera across a tiny pond (5 yards wide) and have my mock scrape on the other side or put it higher in a tree at an angle
Third - only go get cards in the rain or the day you hunt ( again inventory only) that way your scent is not screwing things up

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info....I have a pond setup in mind like you said where I dont hunt because its very low in terrain and wind swirls there. I would do this for inventory like you said.

kenn1320 wrote:Shot my best MI buck right after he worked my mock scrape. I used bucks unlimited synthetic forehead gland scent. I havent used that technique much since, but this year I made some more. When the deer are heavy into scraping, they will hit about anything that has a place to paw with a place to leave their own scent above it.

Would buck urine be an option or does the forehead gland work better you think?
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:56 am

I did it again last year, & it seems to work every year. I take a bigger stick & rake away a spot next to a small sapling that has a nice overhanging licking branch. I then literally pee in the mock scrape, & then hang a camera. Last year I had a nice 3 year old hitting it by the second day...... but I will say, 98% of my pics all, all came at night...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:55 am

[ Post made via Android ] Image[/quote]

Thats why I would do it as an inventory not a hunting spot.
JML2

Unread postby JML2 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:24 pm

They work. I make scrapes at my property and have bucks hit them in daylight every year. I get them started wellbefore the season. I either find a good branch or pull one over and make sure there is bare dirt underneath the licking branch. I usually spray with glyphosate and simizine to keep the ground bare. Maybe use a rake to rough up the ground.. No scent needed. The bucks will hit it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:33 am

I thought I would give this one a bump just for fun, had a couple of nice bucks show up at a mock I made this fall. I guess the proof all depends on what you want to do with them. I have a stand in my back yard that I hunt when I am short on time. I kind of use it as my experamental area too, I have a mini food plot back there, a couple of apple trees, and I am working on a bedding area. I started this scrape last year, I used some pixie dust scrape juice and refreshed it with human pee from time to time. Got all young bucks and a bunch of does. This year I didn't even bother with the pixie dust juice and just peed in the scrape. It was slow at first with one and two year old bucks along with a handful of does. Once the rut started ramping up the old bucks took interest. The 8 showed up twice in mid november, the 10 hit it in late oct but was in the area throughout the summer and fall. No daylight activity but my back yard is in a big funnel so I just about never see any daylight movement out of the mature bucks here, had I been closer to a bedding area it might have been different.

Sorry the pic quality is terrible, the camera is on its last legs. Also ignore the time and date, I set them but they have a mind of their own. First two pics look like the same buck.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:47 am

also deer use scrapes all year long. not at the same places or frequency they use them during the rut though. it's good to start a mock scrape in a good location during august and just pee in it yourself. you can start to condition then to work the scrape over and keep working it once you started it. good way to keep tabs on what is in the area.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:54 am

Mock scrapes and peeing in scrapes doesn't work at all where I live/hunt. Doing something of this nature will shut the area down in a heart beat. Glad to see it works for you though. Just doesn't work every where.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:33 am

dirt nap giver wrote: Glad to see it works for you though. Just doesn't work every where.

Can't argue with that dirt nap giver, this is the first time I have had any serious activity after several years of messing around. Many of my sites were pretty much ignored, as in zero pics. Lots of variables at play here.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:31 am

Do mock scrapes work?

Depends on what you expect them to do, and how you use them...

Get pictures of bucks at night? Good chance. Draw bucks in from a distance? Doubtful. Bring bucks to an area during daylight when they otherwise wouldn't be there? Longshot. Let you know if a buck is using the area? Most likely. Stop a buck for a good shot opportunity? Perhaps. Provide something for him to focus his attention on other than you? Probably.

If done correctly and with proper expectations, yes they can 'work'.

I would not add any scent and peeing into one is definitely walking a fine line. I just don't see any benefit and how it could come close to outweighing the potential risks. Make sure there is a good licking branch, it is the most essential piece of the puzzle.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”