Live from the stand 2012.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Live from the stand 2012.

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Same thing here for me Dewey. I thought that they would be moving tonight too. Nothing. I checked my cam and saw a lot of nocturnal movement.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:45 pm

At least one deer was moving. Found this track on my way out at closing. It was in my footprint from when I walked in earlier! :doh:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:45 pm

dan wrote:Went out tonight and found a target bucks tracks going into a bedding area and not coming out... At prime time a truck pulled into the field and drove right up to my tree... Saw me and took off. I was on Daves farm so I called him and he called his mom in texas who informed him she rented some farm land to a guy and he went back there to take a soil test :roll:

Dan, to know that the buck's track wasn't coming out of the bedding, you would've had to circle around the bedding right? How did you pull that off without your scent stream blowing in there and tipping him off?
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:31 pm

hunter_mike wrote:
dan wrote:Went out tonight and found a target bucks tracks going into a bedding area and not coming out... At prime time a truck pulled into the field and drove right up to my tree... Saw me and took off. I was on Daves farm so I called him and he called his mom in texas who informed him she rented some farm land to a guy and he went back there to take a soil test :roll:

Dan, to know that the buck's track wasn't coming out of the bedding, you would've had to circle around the bedding right? How did you pull that off without your scent stream blowing in there and tipping him off?

I did not fully circle the bedding area... But, this particular buck generally beds on an anti-hunters sanctuary that is across two roads and comes over at night. I have been monitoring him pretty closely. He never goes to the back of the property, his range seems to stop up near the top of the property. Never seen his track ever in the back of the property.
To answer your question more directly, knowing that last winter he bedded on the property around the late season food plot, and knowing where his beds were, his tracks came onto the property from the sanctuary, but never went back in that direction. I did not check the back of the farm, when I circled wide to go to my stand, his track could be seen going into the main bedding area on that end of the farm... Could he of passed right thru it? Yes. But I doubt that based on my observations of this particular buck.

I do occasionally fully circle a bedding area though... Especially in places where I don't know the buck as well as I know this one. I just stay pretty far away on the up wind side and try and do it early... On the property above I can actually check for tracks coming and going to the sanctuary from my truck...
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:25 am

On stand fiming my buddy that came home from the Marines. Silent and cold. Something is gonna die!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:26 am

On stand fiming my buddy that came home from the Marines. Silent and cold. Something is gonna die!

Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:54 am

Saw 6 does last night. Buddy pulled back twice but got busted both times. Very skittish. Need to find a new tree too.

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:26 am

Set up near bedding. Had a visual of him near this area two days ago. Tracks headed towards bedding in fresh snow from earlier today. Wind is good today for this spot. Fingers crossed for an opportunity.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:03 am

Mature deer are showing up in daylight to feed.... these last few days should be really good
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Had 3 bucks come in tonight... No shooters. I seen each one come from known bedding areas as expected... It was nice to see some bucks, even if they were little.
Here is the set up: Orange line is my entry to the stand. The wind was N.NE. The red dots are where the bucks were bedded. The lone buck with the yellow line disappeared at the end of the arrow... I think he smelled me. The two bucks that were bedded together came in 10 minutes apart and fed on the turnips in the plot. They were digging for them in the snow. I was really surprised because they were directly down wind for about a 1/2 hour and never smelled me. But when two hunters walked the North land boundary after there hunt was done, they either smelled or saw them. I was only 10 feet off the ground. If that.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:16 pm

Man that deep snow is killing me! Thought I would give it a try today without snowshoes and boy was that a mistake! :doh:

On my way into the cedar swamp I hooked up with a single set up fresh tracks so I decided to follow them since the wind was right. Ended up being a bedded buck but I didn't spot him till he stood up at about 20 yards. I immediately dropped to my knee and nocked an arrow but didn't have any cover to hide behind. He stared my direction while I froze and didn't make a move for about 10 minutes while he was trying to figure out what I was. Eventually he flicked his tail and calmly walked away not seeming the least bit spooked. He looked to be a 2 year old decent 8 pt and I was tempted to shoot but ended up not even drawing back on him. Still holding out for a much bigger buck I know is around.

Couldn't believe he didn't bolt and it seemed like he was looking straight thru me. I am sold on Predator Camo and cannot believe how many deer this season didn't spook while I was wearing it while looking right at me!! With my old camo I was getting picked out in the tree and ground all the time.

Got into my stand and had 6 turkeys come cruising by headed to their roost. I have a turkey tag so thought I would take one if I could. Made it to full draw without getting busted but unbelievably could not get a good shot on any of them. :roll:

Sat till dark and didn't see another deer but it was a pretty exciting hunt anyway. There is just something about being deep in a cedar swamp in the winter with a bunch of snow. The silence is unbelievable and was probably one of my most relaxing sits this season. I enjoyed it all the more because the walk in was a such a killer. Getting out was no picnic either and for the first time I feel like I am getting too old for this stuff!! :o But you can bet tomorrow I will be ready to do it all over again..........with snowshoes!! 8-)
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:22 pm

Sounds like an exciting hunt Dewey!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:43 pm

As usual awesome stuff Dewey!! Keep us posted!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:00 pm

Been a very tough late season so far for me. I was just glad to finally see a buck. The deep snow has been definitely making things tougher as far as access and has really seemed to alter the bedding spots. Seems like I have been playing cat and mouse with the bucks and just can't seem to set up in the right locations. They are there because I am finding plenty of sign. Hope I get it figured out soon!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:42 am

Today since it is snowing I am taking the comfort route and sitting in my Double Bull T2 blind to stay dry. Not hunting any particular buck bed or anything like that but trying to see some numbers of deer with hopefully a few bucks mixed in.

Found a standing cornfield that is getting pounded pretty good so I followed the trails back about 3/4 of a mile into the marsh. The spot I am sitting is a bottleneck creek crossing where 6 different deer trails converge into one. Found a good brush pile across the creek and tucked my blind in.

Hoping by prime time my blind accumulates a bunch of snow to further conceal it. My shot across the creek is exactly 18 yards. The heavy deer trail goes right under the left branch that is bent down. There is a slightly elevated hill along the creek and as soon as the deer crest the top I would have a good shot.

Pretty comfy in here and hopefully I can stay awake!! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”