Parallel Field Edge

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Parallel Field Edge

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:21 am

Scouted out some field edges today during the rain and checked a few cams. Found 2 good trails and about 4 spots that would be good to hunt late Oct around 9am.Really excited after seeing this! However there are no good trees whatsoever to hang a stand in. That is my dilemma, how to hunt these successfully? Just position myself on the ground?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Re: Parallel Field Edge

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:16 pm

Being on the ground would be really tuff to pull off...

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Hunt as much as you can from 8am until 1pm late Oct till mid Nov

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Planned on it! A lot of hedge and pine trees with smaller trees and undergrowth make it tough to see, let alone shoot through. I only found 1 good tree but there is a hedge right where the deer would come through. Leaving no shot.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Parralel trails are not the same thing as rut funnels... Sometimes they act as funnels too, but often bucks check parralel trails to see if does are using a food source and if any of the does are in heat... There is usually no does in an open field 8am to 1pm, so its been my experience that if the trail is a parralel rut trail, prime time is late evening.
Thats not to say Bucky is not right, these trails are often "also" funnels... However, I want to get the point across that they can be quite good right before dark, ans sometimes during 1st light.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:01 pm

You would be suprised how effective a ground blind can be. A little brush to break up the outline is a must. I never set mine up ahead of time like some people for deer to get used to, like they say....., I would rather have the element of surprise

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:31 am

I agree with Dan... I hunt them early and late too if I can/conditions warrant. But in general I think too many people over hunt Sept and early Oct in a spot like this... by November the spot is ruined or they are burnt out from hunting early (I know cause I did the same thing for many years). It is the same every year.... most guys I know that want to kill a big one don't spend the time when the timing is right in the right areas (they get out at 5AM and leave at 9AM during the pre-rut/rut). If you have multiple properties you can spread the pressure/intrusion around... if you don't... then you should hunt selectively on your private access early (opener) and again late Oct-Nov. and during those late Oct- early Nov sit most of the day if possible. At least all morning into early afternoon.

I was not trying to put a perfect time on this set up... I was just trying to tell KW to generally focus as much time as possible Nov 1 - Nov 9 on his property (he has some good bucks in the areas he hunts) and not "stink" it up too bad prior to that time ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:03 am

Bucky wrote:I agree with Dan... I hunt them early and late too if I can/conditions warrant. But in general I think too many people over hunt Sept and early Oct in a spot like this... by November the spot is ruined or they are burnt out from hunting early (I know cause I did the same thing for many years). It is the same every year.... most guys I know that want to kill a big one don't spend the time when the timing is right in the right areas (they get out at 5AM and leave at 9AM during the pre-rut/rut). If you have multiple properties you can spread the pressure/intrusion around... if you don't... then you should hunt selectively on your private access early (opener) and again late Oct-Nov. and during those late Oct- early Nov sit most of the day if possible. At least all morning into early afternoon.

I was not trying to put a perfect time on this set up... I was just trying to tell KW to generally focus as much time as possible Nov 1 - Nov 9 on his property (he has some good bucks in the areas he hunts) and not "stink" it up too bad prior to that time ;)

Agreed...
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:53 am

I hunt from the ground quite a bit in setups like this. My Huntmore chair and Mossy Oaks Brush leafy suit works great. Wouldn't think of it in a regular chair though.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”