2012 food sources

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigbob

2012 food sources

Unread postby bigbob » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Here in north central iowa alot of corn is already coming out and the beans don't seem to be too far off. Wondering if any beast members are having similar circumstances? Last night my buddy and I glassed some cut corn and spotted some nice bucks for a first in early sept. I'm thinking that but the time oct. 1st comes most crops will be out, tilled, and the acorns will be done leaving any decent food source will be a magnet. Any others feel this way?

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: 2012 food sources

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:32 pm

I think this will be a great year in Iowa for anyone with food plots and good natural food sources. Foods like acorns, chestnuts, etc and browse like red & silky dogwood, maple browse (& it's leaves), etc.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:31 am

Leaving up the alfalfa on our land due to having enough and its a little sparce plus food plots will help alot. Seems alot of crops are coming out early here too.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:18 am

I talked with our farmer and over 50% of his corn is off already and some farmers in the area are starting their beans. So by me in western IL all the crops should be off by Oct. 1. We planted extra food plots because the field on my lease was beans this year, so with all the crops off around there hopefully the food plots draw them in like crazy from all over!!!
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:54 am

rudy78 wrote:I talked with our farmer and over 50% of his corn is off already and some farmers in the area are starting their beans. So by me in western IL all the crops should be off by Oct. 1. We planted extra food plots because the field on my lease was beans this year, so with all the crops off around there hopefully the food plots draw them in like crazy from all over!!!

Beans off already!? Wow.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:48 am

Corn is off around my go to spot... Beans are way past yellow... Acorns are scarce. The deer are piled up in my food plot... The bad news is it probably won't last long! I have roughly 2.5 acres of clover, brassicas, and rye planted

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:54 pm

A few of our clover plots are looking pretty good after the recent rain but two are pretty much beyond repair. The beans look horrible at my spot in Central Illinois but surprisingly other than the outer 10 rows of corn, the inside stuff is 8 or so feet tall with surprisingly big ears. I think we'll give the farmer some $$ to leave us a few acres of corn in a few or our usual spots. I think that should really help. Most farmers have the corn out early and plowed under my mid october. Over labor day they were already harvesting. I'm hoping the added food, water source and lack of acorns this year are going to help. We'll see in about a month!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:38 pm

At 8+ a bushel... that is gonna be an expensive couple acres!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:16 pm

Bucky wrote:Corn is off around my go to spot... Beans are way past yellow... Acorns are scarce. The deer are piled up in my food plot... The bad news is it probably won't last long! I have roughly 2.5 acres of clover, brassicas, and rye planted

That food plot sounds like the go to spot for the opener Bucky 8-)
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Bucky wrote:Corn is off around my go to spot... Beans are way past yellow... Acorns are scarce. The deer are piled up in my food plot... The bad news is it probably won't last long! I have roughly 2.5 acres of clover, brassicas, and rye planted

It sounds like you need to plant some more soon Bucky!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:15 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:

That food plot sounds like the go to spot for the opener Bucky 8-)

I watched a 140"+ 8pt feed out on Tuesday night... same wind as Saturday opener :twisted:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”