Would you shoot this buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jeff Sturgis

Would you shoot this buck?

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:22 am

I admit, I frequent a few forums, but at the same time you guys are about the largest collection of mature buck hunters you can find on the web...am I wrong about that? Anyways I thought it would be interesting to get your feedback.

1. First off, I think this is the same buck.
2. I should have a few bucks that score more and maybe even a bit older, but I am thinking with my 10 year old son by my side this weekend this guy would be a great target to provide memories for my son and I to last a lifetime.
3. I have my own opinion...but are these pics 2 to 4 years of age...or 3 to 5 years of age. I saw him real close in 2010 and his body was big, but not compared to the 4 year old he was with that I shot.

What do you guys think? Would you shoot...how old do you think he is this year?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Image My NEW BOOK can be purchased at http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/?page_id=343...Please check it out and I hope that you enjoy my website too!
PLB
500 Club

Re: Would you shoot this buck?

Unread postby PLB » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:32 am

I would say he is 4.5 this year. I would shoot him :D
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:35 am

4.5 based on last years pics, he needs another year in my world but if it was my kid they'd be pulling the trigger.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:38 am

Now to clariffy...my son will only be sitting next to me, not hunting. I don't have him 100% of the time and althougn he has a nice bow I bought him for his birthday, he can't shoot well enough to hunt. Will be awesome to have him sitting next to me though in the stand though!

Image My NEW BOOK can be purchased at http://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/?page_id=343...Please check it out and I hope that you enjoy my website too!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:44 am

4.5yr old.... definetly kill him with your son sitting next to you. I would drop the bar even lower if it were my kid... you know he is gonna be shaking with excitement if a buck gets in close :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:53 am

4.5...Let that deer take a dirt nap. I would definately be letting the Easton fly, especially if my son was with.
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:55 am

Bucky wrote:4.5yr old.... definetly kill him with your son sitting next to you. I would drop the bar even lower if it were my kid... you know he is gonna be shaking with excitement if a buck gets in close :D

He would be going nuts inside!!! Also, I have a big book celebration bash Saturday night with local hunting buddies and their families....grilling, etc. So, lots of hunting buddies around and my son is going to have a great weekend:) a 3 year old is too young for our property management practices, but there should be a few older bucks around if we get lucky. For him to see a 3 year old and for us to pass on him would be pretty cool too!

You guys have me leaning towards 4.5 too! That's what I especially thought with 2010 and 2011 pics too...

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:56 am

:twisted: dead
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:59 am

Let er rip!! Jake will be talking for months about it!! :D
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:05 am

Is he the biggest in your area??? He looks mature to me.

Antler size isn't everything my friend; shooting a mature buck is an accomplishment in itself. If he gets your heart racing...I'd say arrow him.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:20 am

Absolutely give the boy a memory he won't ever forget!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:32 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Is he the biggest in your area??? He looks mature to me.

Antler size isn't everything my friend; shooting a mature buck is an accomplishment in itself. If he gets your heart racing...I'd say arrow him.

At 4.5...I should have around 4-5 to go after that are older, and bigger. No, I already decided I would make every attempt to look at hime extremely close, if I get the opportunity with Jake:) was real curious what you guys thought on age though, and what you would do.

We will see...need some type of south wind for that spot.

jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:33 am

U.P. MAN wrote:Let er rip!! Jake will be talking for months about it!! :D

And you would be listening for about 5 hours on Monday for sure :D Maybe you would get lucky and he would talk himself to sleep!

Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:40 am

what I would do is bring his bow along. if you shoot the deer - awesome but let him take a crack at the deer after it has expired. Now that will be a memory of a lifetime for him. I know this is my plan with my son come Saturday on a doe if I am blessed to get one :pray:
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
jeff Sturgis

Unread postby jeff Sturgis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:47 am

Z7WIBoy wrote:what I would do is bring his bow along. if you shoot the deer - awesome but let him take a crack at the deer after it has expired. Now that will be a memory of a lifetime for him. I know this is my plan with my son come Saturday on a doe if I am blessed to get one :pray:

Dang...that is a really unique idea that I think he would love...Thanks for that suggestion!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”