EHD hitting my area pretty hard..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MOBIGBUCKS

EHD hitting my area pretty hard..

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:20 am

Here is a map of suspected EHD cases in Missouri that was last updated at the end of August...:cry:

I figure you have to multiply these figures by 5 or 10 for each county..This really sucks and will most likely effect my season here in Missouri. I have found three dead myself and expect the number found dead to go up once our season begins on Saturday. Anyhow, just wanted to post up for everyone to see.

MN Slick

Re: EHD hitting my area pretty hard..

Unread postby MN Slick » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:16 am

What county do you hunt in? I'm in Mercer and Putnam and was down over Labor Day.......so far so good for my farms.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:35 am

Ok, so I don't know much at all about this disease..... is it just in Missouri, or is it all over the Midwest?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:59 am

Yep were getting hammered here in lower michigan too! its very sad
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:23 pm

MN Slick wrote:What county do you hunt in? I'm in Mercer and Putnam and was down over Labor Day.......so far so good for my farms.

Jackson county right in the KC area.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:24 pm

dreaming bucks wrote:Ok, so I don't know much at all about this disease..... is it just in Missouri, or is it all over the Midwest?

I think it's hitting all of the midwest pretty hard this year. We really need a dang freeze.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Bummer, to hear its in MO. Fortunately if you can say that, it doesnt apear to high there. Heck one farm in Calhoun Mi found 25 deer. My friend and I walked his land and the neighbors and found 4 bucks and 3 does. We were suprised they didnt stink real bad, actually only 2 of them were found by way of smelling. The others we just stumbled upon as we walked along the creek. The biggest buck was a dandy 10 with 2 extra kickers. It was sad to see the body was scrawny, like he had lost a ton of weight. He resembled a yearling, yet his hooves were very large and his rack was in the 120's. His knees were bloody and the vegetation all around his legs was tore up like he did a lot of thrashing. My friend believes he jumped that same deer a week ago, not 100yds from were we found him. We found another dead doe in the pond at work. Im lucky to see a doe and her fawn, no other deer are being spotted now. It has or will wipe out the entire herd on the property. Sad for sure.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:39 pm

Just from what I have heard, within a 3 mile radius of my property, 15. I thankfully have not found any yet but am going out tomorrow in the rain to do some stuff. Have not heard of any nice bucks, mostly does.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:43 pm

kenn1320 wrote:Bummer, to hear its in MO. Fortunately if you can say that, it doesnt apear to high there. Heck one farm in Calhoun Mi found 25 deer. My friend and I walked his land and the neighbors and found 4 bucks and 3 does. We were suprised they didnt stink real bad, actually only 2 of them were found by way of smelling. The others we just stumbled upon as we walked along the creek. The biggest buck was a dandy 10 with 2 extra kickers. It was sad to see the body was scrawny, like he had lost a ton of weight. He resembled a yearling, yet his hooves were very large and his rack was in the 120's. His knees were bloody and the vegetation all around his legs was tore up like he did a lot of thrashing. My friend believes he jumped that same deer a week ago, not 100yds from were we found him. We found another dead doe in the pond at work. Im lucky to see a doe and her fawn, no other deer are being spotted now. It has or will wipe out the entire herd on the property. Sad for sure.

Dang! You guys lost 25 deer!! Man, that is terrible; I'm sorry to hear that.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:49 pm

DNR told me that majority of the infected deer are found within a 100yd radius of water. 90 plus in Allegan county Mi, 145+ in Kent and another 130+ in Ionia. These are just the ones that have been confirmed. One farm found over 40 in 1 field. This sucks! Hopefully they quit handing out doe tags. The DNR biologist are projecting 10k plus before the opener of bow.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Yeah, its a bummer. Here is a link that our dnr has provided. The problem with it here, and likely everywhere, is the lack of knowledge about it. I talk to a lot of people that had no clue we had it and it was wiping out the herd. Check out Ionia in the link, they have lost over 1500 in that one county and like you said, for every 1 you find, how many arent found? :? The DNR has come to our work and set "fly" type traps. Im guessing they want to catch the midge flys and see if they can find a cure? My friend also heard they are looking for any deer that is fresh, no more then a couple days old. Guessing they want to do some testing. Even with all this, they are still going to issue 500,000 doe permits for SLP(southern lower penisula). :roll:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_12150-283966--,00.html
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:04 pm

A friend of mine says he has an article stating what the cause is. "it's bugs going inside the animal through the nose" Will get my hands on it and try to confirm through the biologist. If they are wanting to trap flies, then they have to know more than they are saying.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:14 pm

I hunt Callaway county and it doesn't look too bad according to that map. Who knows how accurate it is though. I'm grateful for the hard rain we got two weeks ago and the little bit here and there since.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:29 pm

looks like the higher #'s are in more populated areas.

More folks to find the dead deer.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:16 am

I'll find out in less than 2 months for the NW section :cry:

- Right Zap :P
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”