Tough few days

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Tough few days

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:26 am

I went out to North Dakota for the bow opener. It did not start off very good, my son was sick all week and I stayed home with him since he had such a high fever. I did not get there until midnight of the opener so I missed the first night. On Sunday night a pretty nice 10 pointer was coming right in and he was still in full velvet. I have always wanted to shoot a full velvet buck so I decided to shoot him if he gave me the chance. The camera man could not hear me because my wireless mic stopped working as he came in. When we got on the same page the buck was quartering away at 22 yards. I put it behind the ribs and touched my release. I heard a loud WHACK and watched him run off about 80 yards. I was waiting for him to fall over but could not believe it as he walked away. I was in total disbelief as I sat there trying to figure out what happened. We went back and watched the footage at first it looked like the arrow went in right behind the shoulder but the nockturnal turned off as soon as the broadhead hit the buck and the camera man was to my right and I was shooting to his left. When the buck ran out and stopped you could see the arrow sticking out of him. It went in the back of the ribs angling toward the opposite leg, but I only got 12" of penetration. The buck was really breathing hard and right in front of his hind end it was sucking way in and out really quickly. I know I collapsed 1 lung but he walked off a long way. We let him lay over night, the next day we looked all day, we walked cattails, hay fields, CRP, a 20 acre corn field. We drove 4 wheelers and trucks standing in the back so we could see down in the tall grass better and walked a grid system. There was hardly any blood, we had it where he stopped but then nothing. We never recovered the arrow, it was still in him the last I saw, and it looked like something slid out and plugged the hole. This was not the way I was hoping to start off the season. Good luck to every one this year, hopefully no one else will have this same issue this year.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Tough few days

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:12 am

Sucks... No one wants to wound one. You just gotta get back on the saddle and try again.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:13 am

Man, that sucks. Watch them crows .
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:19 am

Dan I did not hunt on Monday. Tuesday was my last morning so I went to the same stand in case that buck showed back up (I knew he wouldnt) plus I decided if a doe came in the last half hour I would start to re stock my freezer. This doe gave me a broad side shot after watching her for half an hour at 20 yards.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:29 am

Monster Raxx wrote:Dan I did not hunt on Monday. Tuesday was my last morning so I went to the same stand in case that buck showed back up (I knew he wouldnt) plus I decided if a doe came in the last half hour I would start to re stock my freezer. This doe gave me a broad side shot after watching her for half an hour at 20 yards.

Nice freezer fare!
Sorry to hear about about the buck - it happens...

Public land?
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:32 am

Sorry to hear that man. It happens to the best of us. Nice job on the doe!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:36 am

that sucks monster, keep after em. at least u got meat!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:06 am

Bummer on the buck.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”