Top 5-things I noticed about becoming an older hunter…

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Top 5-things I noticed about becoming an older hunter…

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:08 am

Add yours and make it the Top 10 or... Top 100 :mrgreen:

5. Hurling your but into a stand makes a frog come out in the back of your throat.

4. The things that appear in the distance with your peripheral vision are floaters 95% of the time.

3. When you breath heavier due to the longer walks into your stand it dislodges a flakey booger that wants to tickle you ALL DAY LONG!

2. Light wind effects your ear hair with an occasional rustling sound much like leaves at a distance.

1. Be Careful & never trust a fart when your over 45, especially after an evening of eating camp food…

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Top 5-things I noticed about becoming an older hunter…

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:45 am

5: I no longer feel the need to be out there every second of every day of the season
4: Im much more methodical about getting to and from my stand
3: I sweat much more, probably from not being as in shape so I must watch how much I wear initially
2: I enjoy the quiet so much I almost fall asleep on every hunt
1: 20lbs was a lot lighter 15 years ago
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:21 am

5. I don't need to see a deer to have an incredible hunt
4. I don't need to be in a tree every second of the season, I now pick and choose the best times to capitalize
3. I don't climb as high as I used to
2. I've wasted alot of scouting time hunting
1. My family comes first over any deer
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:53 am

"Never trust a fart" LMAO that is classic..
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:46 am

Awesome guys.. :D

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:50 am

5. Killing a deer is not all that matters anymore. Having fun is more important.

4. I think more about why deer do what they do and try to develop patterns. When I was younger I didn't pay enough attention to small details.

3. Walking further does not necessarily mean better bucks. I have been focussing on closer overlooked spots and still seeing some great bucks.

2. Learned to scout more than I hunt. Wish I would have known this small detail when I was younger.

1. I find I need to exercise much more before the season to stay in shape. Sure helps with every aspect of hunting and prevents any physical limitations. I don't feel old yet and want to keep it that way for as long as possible.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:56 am

No order

1. Family is more important
2. I don't care what others think... I hunt my way
3. You don't have to be in a tree 2hrs prior to sunrise... sometimes it is better to get there 30min-1hr after sunrise
4. Hunt smarter not harder. Safety is much more important than it ever was before
5. Where you hunt is more important than how you hunt in regards to killing trophy class animals.. spend the time finding where they live 1st, then hunt them.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:29 am

Dewey wrote:5. Killing a deer is not all that matters anymore. Having fun is more important.

4. I think more about why deer do what they do and try to develop patterns. When I was younger I didn't pay enough attention to small details.

3. Walking further does not necessarily mean better bucks. I have been focussing on closer overlooked spots and still seeing some great bucks.

2. Learned to scout more than I hunt. Wish I would have known this small detail when I was younger.

1. I find I need to exercise much more before the season to stay in shape. Sure helps with every aspect of hunting and prevents any physical limitations. I don't feel old yet and want to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Right on Dewey !

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”