Another DEER scent topic

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Another DEER scent topic

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:09 pm

I rescently went out to check some cameras.

It normally takes a good 5-6 days before any mature bucks come around my cameras after first placing them out.
(unless its pouring rain during setup)

So, on one of my cams that was placed near a old fencerow funnel inside a tree lot, first night out, I had TWO mature bucks come in for a pic. They had one pic taken of them and were gone. So that got me to think, did they pick up my scent then leave? Or we they traveling and went on through the funnel, and WHY woudld they have gotten so close to my camera with scent fresh on the ground?

Which leads me to wonder, I do believe in scent drift, scent trails, etc Were these two bucks comfortable enough in their environment to pass on through, even with human scent present?

Brad

Re: Another DEER scent topic

Unread postby Brad » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:48 pm

I think that was a classic case of the bucks coming through, you getting their picture, and then them avoiding it. I almost always experience the same, very rarely do I get pictures of big bucks days after I put the cam out, its almost always the first night. I think this is similar to why a stand is almost always the best the first time you hunt it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Another DEER scent topic

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Every buck reacts differently to ground scent... And where that ground scent is located, or how close to there secure area it is. Its a common reaction for bucks to pass thru, smell your scent, seem like they don't care, but the next day there gone... I noticed a long time ago that the 1st day the camera is out, is the day I usually get the picture of the big buck...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”