Opening day food sources

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Opening day food sources

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:58 pm

Ok, plain and simple, since a buck is a slave to his stomach early season and the name of the game is getting between them and the food, what food sources are you focusing your energies on and why?

My answer is alfalfa, because I feel a lot of the acorns will be gone before opener on the 15th. The beans are yellow and the corn looks terrible. Anyone else?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
PLB
500 Club

Re: Opening day food sources

Unread postby PLB » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Acorns trump all where I hunt. That's my focus this fall. Haven't had any in my area since 2009 and hunting has been tough!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:43 pm

i'll be on acorns opening day.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 am

Not just early season, every day outside of the rut. This style of hunting works so well because all you need to know is where they want to go. When you hear guys talk about..."where I hunt, deer come from every direction" that tells me that they are hunting right smack in the middle of a food source IE the destination not the travel corridor or bedding because I have only ever seen that happen on food.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:42 am

Acorns are gone. I'm sticking with water for the early season. Corn is also an option.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:00 am

Stanley wrote:Acorns are gone. I'm sticking with water for the early season. Corn is also an option.

Gone? Already? Our reds just started falling.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:10 am

Acorns, apples and water...

Walking in blind for the most part, will try a locate hot sign to ambush.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:13 am

GRFox wrote:
Stanley wrote:Acorns are gone. I'm sticking with water for the early season. Corn is also an option.

Gone? Already? Our reds just started falling.

X2! Even with bears and turkeys these acorns will last all season. They will be pawing at them late season if the snow is not too deep...

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:17 am

Acorns and early season beds near so cearcuts. Plenty of acorns in my neck of the woods, they have been falling since mid-Aug but don't start to drop heavy for a while yet.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:29 am

I will be focusing on big buck bedding areas that are near acorns and water.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:45 am

dan wrote:I will be focusing on big buck bedding areas that are near acorns and water.

This is my plan as well.

In past years I focussed on a particular food source early in the season instead of beds and got burned by bigger bucks arriving after dark. Even very early in the season it is important to be in their staging area.

Hunting food sources early can be good at times but mostly for younger inmature bucks and does.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:29 am

Dewey wrote:
dan wrote:I will be focusing on big buck bedding areas that are near acorns and water.

This is my plan as well.

In past years I focussed on a particular food source early in the season instead of beds and got burned by bigger bucks arriving after dark. Even very early in the season it is important to be in their staging area.

Hunting food sources early can be good at times but mostly for younger inmature bucks and does.

I disagree with this, you should always know what food source they are working their way towards in order to know what beds will be used. Sitting near a bed that is near acorns or is used when deer are feeding in acorns will be unproductive if the buck you are trying to hunt is feeding elsewhere on a different food source.
DROPTYNE

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:39 am

DropTyne wrote:
Dewey wrote:

This is my plan as well.

I disagree with this, you should always know what food source they are working their way towards in order to know what beds will be used. Sitting near a bed that is near acorns or is used when deer are feeding in acorns will be unproductive if the buck you are trying to hunt is feeding elsewhere on a different food source.

I am not saying that you need to disregard food sources completely and agree that you need to know which ones are being used. All I am saying is it is important to be closer to a bucks staging area rather than being right in the food source.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:09 am

Dewey wrote:
DropTyne wrote:
Dewey wrote:

This is my plan as well.

I am not saying that you need to disregard food sources completely and agree that you need to know which ones are being used. All I am saying is it is important to be closer to a bucks staging area rather than being right in the food source.

Ok, got it, when I started the post I just was curious what food sources beasts thought the deer would most likely go to. I like most everyone on this site will be sitting very close to a buck bed, but unlike most here from my observations so far this year the buck will end up in an alfalfa field shortly after dark, which means I need to get into position to intercept him on his way there.

Just a misunderstanding.....
DROPTYNE

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:21 am

DropTyne wrote:
Dewey wrote:
DropTyne wrote:
Dewey wrote:

This is my plan as well.

Ok, got it, when I started the post I just was curious what food sources beasts thought the deer would most likely go to. I like most everyone on this site will be sitting very close to a buck bed, but unlike most here from my observations so far this year the buck will end up in an alfalfa field shortly after dark, which means I need to get into position to intercept him on his way there.

Just a misunderstanding.....

I read my first post again and I can see how it could be taken wrong. Sorry about that. I totally agree with what your saying. 8-)

Most times my intent is good but my delivery is lacking! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”