Mature Buck personality

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Mature Buck personality

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:40 pm

I realize mature bucks act a lot differently than young bucks do. But do mature bucks differ in personality compared to other mature bucks? For example: Do some travel a lot more than others during rut or in general? Difference in range size? Food preference? Daytime movement?

Bucky

Re: Mature Buck personality

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:20 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:I realize mature bucks act a lot differently than young bucks do. But do mature bucks differ in personality compared to other mature bucks? For example: Do some travel a lot more than others during rut or in general? Difference in range size? Food preference? Daytime movement?

For sure.... They are different just like u and I

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:48 pm

For sure...

This is purely anecdotal, but in my time in the stand, the mature bucks with the highest scoring racks tend to be loners OR, they tend to be socially inactive even come rut. Many of the largest scoring bucks on properties I hunt have not been involved in chasing or seeking behavior - they seem to lay back, feed at times when other mature bucks are on the hoof after does, and stay on the fringe of most deer social behaviors. I've seen a few shy away from any competition with other mature bucks, too. The most agressive mature bucks are usually that second-highest scoring or second-tier...attitude is everything.

Who knows how much truth there is to it, but those aggressive bucks burn down a ton of calories and energy...maybe that gives them slightly less overall physical shape to grow their BEST quality racks whereas the other buck lays back, stays healthy and has a larger rack as a result.

Now that is not to say it is the rule, I've seen a few who are agressive and the highest scoring bucks on the ground, but usually there are fewer mature bucks on these pieces and not much in the way of competition (ie most bucks are young on the ground so small % actually make it to maturity).
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:53 pm

Yes... Getting to know your target buck is a great way to hang him on the wall. Some are passive, some aggressive, some travel for over a mile some stick tight to a tiny area. Some rub only certain trees, etc...
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:57 pm

phade wrote:For sure...

This is purely anecdotal, but in my time in the stand, the mature bucks with the highest scoring racks tend to be loners OR, they tend to be socially inactive even come rut. Many of the largest scoring bucks on properties I hunt have not been involved in chasing or seeking behavior - they seem to lay back, feed at times when other mature bucks are on the hoof after does, and stay on the fringe of most deer social behaviors. I've seen a few shy away from any competition with other mature bucks, too. The most agressive mature bucks are usually that second-highest scoring or second-tier...attitude is everything.

Who knows how much truth there is to it, but those aggressive bucks burn down a ton of calories and energy...maybe that gives them slightly less overall physical shape to grow their BEST quality racks whereas the other buck lays back, stays healthy and has a larger rack as a result.

Now that is not to say it is the rule, I've seen a few who are agressive and the highest scoring bucks on the ground, but usually there are fewer mature bucks on these pieces and not much in the way of competition (ie most bucks are young on the ground so small % actually make it to maturity).

Great post!! I agree with everything Phade...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:19 am

phade wrote:For sure...

I have never thought of that but it sure makes sense. Thanks for the post phade.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:22 am

dan wrote:Yes... Getting to know your target buck is a great way to hang him on the wall. Some are passive, some aggressive, some travel for over a mile some stick tight to a tiny area. Some rub only certain trees, etc...

The trick is getting to know him but at the same time doing it so he doesnt get too pressured. Must be a fine line between the two.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”