Hunter tactics - against the other guy...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Edcyclopedia

Hunter tactics - against the other guy...

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:35 am

So now that the season is nearing (or for some already here) and we hunt our spots, what tactics have you employed to deter other hunters in your area?

Example - when I come acoss another stand I will usually pull my stand.
Before leaving I will make a homemade scrape or two within sight of the new neighbor hoping to keep him situated/interested in that spot.

No need to have him potentialy mess up another area on me ;)

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hunter tactics - against the other guy...

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:55 am

I would not intentionally mess with another guys set up... I usually just move on or figure out how the buck is getting around the guy.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:08 pm

Let me fill in the gaps.

I have a setup and some wingnut posts 60 yards from me. (Yes he knew I was there...)
Nothing malicious, just keeping him from following me around, then use him on the proper wind 150-200 yards away.
Checkmate!
Last edited by Edcyclopedia on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:09 pm

I just hide my setups as best as I can. Typically, I'm carrying my stand and sticks in so I'm not advertising where I hunt. I also go to great lengths to cut trees as low to the ground as possible when i'm trimming shooting lanes. Nothing screams other hunters setups more than cut trees /saplings 18-20 inches off the ground....
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:38 pm

I don't fool with other hunters and go to extreme to get away from them. However, I hunted one public land WMA in Fl. where pressure was so intense I knew two other guys that would cut or saw every rub they came on. Then hide the sapling it was made on.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:54 pm

i just do my own thing. never had much of a problem with bumping into others, its all part of the master plan to go where no others will go. if you have others hanging around your in the wrong place to start with.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:56 pm

I avoid all other hunters as much as possible. If anybody comes near me I know I need to strap on hip boots or chest waders and get deeper into water and muck. That usually gets rid of at least 95% of them since it seems nobody wants to work that hard for a deer. Although this year will be a challenge where I hunt because the marshes are pretty much dry.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:19 pm

I never really had to detour other hunters. But I don't trim lanes, or leave markers in to the areas were I hunt. The only sets I mark to get in to are the morning areas. I use a twist tie reflective marker that I wrap around tree limbs to mark my way in. You can't spot them in day light and very few people hunt the mornings around here.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:38 pm

JJWI wrote:I never really had to detour other hunters. But I don't trim lanes, or leave markers in to the areas were I hunt. The only sets I mark to get in to are the morning areas. I use a twist tie reflective marker that I wrap around wtree limbs to mark my way in. You can't spot them in day light and very few people hunt the mornings around here.

X2...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:So now that the season is nearing (or for some already here) and we hunt our spots, what tactics have you employed to deter other hunters in your area?

Before leaving I will make a homemade scrape or two within sight of the new neighbor hoping to keep him situated/interested in that spot.

I find a new spot, but I LOVE the scrape idea! Slightly diabolical.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:So now that the season is nearing (or for some already here) and we hunt our spots, what tactics have you employed to deter other hunters in your area?

Ha Ha! I read a story in d+dh I think, where a guy trespassed on his neighbor's side and made a huge mock scrape to distract his neighbor from going after a huge buck in the area. Guess who ended up shooting the buck, over the mock scrape! You just reminded me of that story.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:47 pm

On public I try to avoid people like the plague and hunt around them, or I like to hunt where nobody else goes. On private, I do the opposite of what everyone has mentioned. In my situation, the landowner lets any Tom, Dick, or Harry hunt, so I usually hang stands in the best spots to deter anyone else from sitting there. If I just used a mobile set up, I guarantee somebody would have plopped themselves in the same areas without knowing anyone hunted there.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:07 pm

I've heard of stories hunters taking the dirtiest laundry they have and tying them to trees to keep to trick the deer into thinking some stinky hunters are sitting on the fence lines to keep the deer from thinking twice about crossing into the other property. I used to hunt private land where every neighbor hugged the fence lines. Its kinda dangerous. I started to hunt the inside interiors of the property for my own safety and did ok and filled a few tags while the fence huggers were hammering every cartridge they have at the same deer. I also used to go in late gun season when the neighbors did a massive deer drive on their land. Everyone in our camp either went home, or were at work. So I had the woods to myself during that time of the season. I usually knew when I could see the neighbors congregating a quarter mile away in the middle of their field. Just sat and watched the exodus of deer running off their land past me, picking and choosing which deer to shoot. Those were good times.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:31 pm

I steer clear of other hunters. I personally think the key is knowing where they are and them not knowing where you are.
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:54 pm

I have come to the conclusion, that on most of the public land I hunt, if another hunter is hunting in a spot, its the wrong spot. My success has come from finding hidden buck hideouts where no body else goes... And if by chance, someone else finds it, which is unlikely, the reason I know that is because they have left a stand or sign behind indicating that they are over hunting the spot and have ruined it anyway....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”