Kicking up deer

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Kicking up deer

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:11 am

I was wondering what you guys think when you kick up deer when going to your stand in morning. The reason I ask is I have a spot pinned down to hunt mornings only, with a buck bed close by but am afraid I will kick up deer walking to this stand. I have evaluated all ways of getting to the stand and I will walk past doe bedding to get to there no matter which way I go.

I just dont know if kicking up the does heading to the spot would alert the buck im after in the morning. The snort wheeze sound they make is the worst and takes down my confidence in my spot.

Would kicking up does or other bucks affect the buck or spot Im hunting? I would most likely kick up deer about 100 yards from where I want to hunt. Not just bedded deer either because there are so many acorns in this spot right now they might be eating them when I get there.

bblefty

Re: Kicking up deer

Unread postby bblefty » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:36 am

If there is no other way, then be aggressive and give yourself a chance to kill him. I would personally second guess every thing about the setup. Can it not be hunted in the evenings. You can probably get away with walking through the acorns in midday undetected. Kicking up deer in the direction of your target buck's bed could be bad. If you do kick one up remember to pause and sit tight for at least 5 minutes. Let things calm down and let the buck relax before proceeding. He'll be watching from that direction.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”